Smoke coming from ac control area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

29tx

Reaction score
So I've gotten my truck running again and tried to take it for a drive last night. Before it was parked for awhile the fan speed control switch only worked in a few speeds (usually had to turn it to full then down one step to get it to turn on, low and the 2nd position wouldn't work) so as I was pulling down the street I started messing with the control and it sounded like it came on. Then smoke started coming out of the dash area where the controls are. Hard to tell if it was blowing out the vents as well as I had the windows down. But it seemed to be a good amount too. I've searched around and saw sometimes the blower resistor goes out and melts the harness, looked at it behind the glove box door and it all looked ok. What else should I get in and check? I plan to pull the control panel and blower motor out but am really hoping not to have to pull the dash. Any help is appreciated, electrical diagnostics are some what of a mystery to me.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
My '98 had the control switch melt down and I found just the switch separate from the control head. It is a heck of a lot less expensive.