Small walk thru of disc brake swap on S.F. 14 bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black an tan Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I recently did a disc brake swap on my rear brakes finally wore out, was goin to need both new drums and my brakes were never workin like the should since I put this rear in so I decided to finally do a disc brake swap. Did online huntin an the only kit I could find was from a guy named Gubni on pirate4x4( not tryin to promote them but usin this for anyone to help locate him) Called him an he sent me a email which gave me a link to pay for the kit with paypal. It was $340, came with brackets, seals, calipers an hoses, rotors, pads, and studs. I substitued the pads(cheapos from what I heard) for SS brake lines for the calipers. Kit went on fairly easy, I took my time an had some issues but maybe itll help someone else down the road...

Heres my box of goodies, took 7-10 days to recive the package
You must be registered for see images attach

Youll be removin the entire brake assemblies, backin plates, parkin brake cable unless you got the '78 el dorado calipers, an drainin the diff to remove the axle shafts

Heres how the bracket is mounted, you have the spacers between the axle flange an large bracket. I put blue loctite on these just to be safe

Heres the outside shot of the bracket, make sure you have it mounted low enough or you wont be able to bolt the calipers onto the bracket, which means pullin the axles back out an possibly ruinin your seals. Also all 12 of those small bolts an nuts were mispackaged, I recieved course nuts with fine thread bolts, meanin extra money for new nuts :nono:

To mount the rotors, I had to use a 5'8'' drill bit to ream to holes for the studs, went straight thru first pass in the hole, the reamed the hole on both sides til the stud would go in smoothly all the way on each side. I messed up the first two rotors by not drilling enough, lucky I know a friend at napa :) Youll also be mountin the rotors on the inside of the axle shafts with a metal gasket that comes with the kit, it was reamed out too for clearance

Once you have everything bolted on your almost done! Slid the axle shaft in, an admire your work

I have two inch spacers added when I did this cause I have a 2wd axle which is narrower :nono: but only with the spacers do I believe 15'' wheels would fit, heres a example pic of the clearance

Also got the rear cleaned up again while I had the chance

Doin the swap was worth it, had to get different calipers cause the supplied ones had 7/16" banjo bolt holes and they cant be found. If I could tell you want to get would be, no pads or calipers or rotors. Get rotors calipers an pads from any part store for a 85 k10, which is what this kit is made to use. I put all new calipers, rotors an pads on the front while I was at it. I used the black ebc pads to try something new an have been impressed with them. If anyone has questions let me know

Black an tan Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you have to pull them out if replacing the rotors. Not a hard job. Pretty similar to a full floater rear except having to drain the rear end out

Black an tan Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man, was trying to do a at least half good info thread on this lol. Seen a few people wanting disc on sf14 bolts but never actual swap info