Sloppy shifter - manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyotey1693

Reaction score
Hey guys I just recently traded for an 89 rcswb. It has a supposed rebuilt 350 and a 5 speed. I have no idea if any of this is true but mechanically the truck seems fairly sound. I have been out of the truck scene for a while and I am looking for some help in a few areas.

The shifter seems really sloppy to me. I realize it's not a car but it has more slop in gear than my Trans Am does in neutral. The trans seems to upshift, downshift, and engage fine, it just feels really sloppy. Any thing I should look into first or am I just going to have to learn to live with it?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If you have the money and the ambition to do it, check into switching to a T56.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

kyotey1693

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was afraid that was the answer. I always thought the t56 in my TA was kinda sloppy. It would make a nice upgrade for the truck though. Maybe someday it will inherit the engine and tranny from the TA when I win the lottery!

Thanks again guys.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I also just noticed in your signature is says it's a work truck. Depending on what you want to use the truck for you may what to upgrade to a beefier NV4500.

If you're going for the sporty performance kind of truck, go T56. If you want more of a heavy duty work pig, then go NV4500.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped my auto for a NV4500 (I already have a T56 in my Camaro anyway) and I was pleasantly surprised that it's not too bad. Obviously it's not as good as the Pro5.0 on the T56, but it's actually tighter throw than the 4spd that came out of that car.