Skylark's dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Great story!
Did anyone else catch the movie references?
There's the obvious one...Pirates of the Caribbean.
And the not so obvious...Spike Lee, Forrest Gump, Walt Disney, Saturday A.M. cartoons (You youngsters can ask your parents about that!) & the one all the way back to (OMG, we're both showing our age) Doris Day?
Too funny!
Did you ever get to verbally spank the forum member that aaahhhtempted to inspect the truck for you?
He must be one helluva mechanic with an excellent moral compass! Pffft!
I'd be looking for the $$$ back you paid him to do...NOTHING!!!
Yeeesh! Nice guy, eh?
Even still, I'd be leery of a 3500 mile tour in an unknown vehicle. Big cajones!
I second this! My mom bought my tahoe brand new in 01, always serviced and maintained by the same tech at the same shop. I bought it off her and idk if I would take it 3500 miles. And that sucks about the lack of ammo and creepers, I woulda been outta there as fast as possible haha. That's an awesome story and seems like your an awesome dad and husband.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
after all that crazyness I dont think I'd ever sell that truck.

good looking rig.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great story!
Did anyone else catch the movie references?
There's the obvious one...Pirates of the Caribbean.
And the not so obvious...Spike Lee, Forrest Gump, Walt Disney, Saturday A.M. cartoons (You youngsters can ask your parents about that!) & the one all the way back to (OMG, we're both showing our age) Doris Day?
Too funny!
Did you ever get to verbally spank the forum member that aaahhhtempted to inspect the truck for you?
He must be one helluva mechanic with an excellent moral compass! Pffft!
I'd be looking for the $$$ back you paid him to do...NOTHING!!!
Yeeesh! Nice guy, eh?
Even still, I'd be leery of a 3500 mile tour in an unknown vehicle. Big cajones!

Yes the very obvious one is the Black Pearl. Part of the reasoning for her name was her obvious roots close to the pirate waters of the Caribbean. Black just lends itself to the name as well. Also we felt like our bootys had been plundered by the forum member and the car lot. Cajones, yeppers! When we bought our Denali we hit the road with it 2 days later on a family road trip/vacation/wedding. We went from here to Palmdale, CA, Riverside, CA, El Centro (122 degrees, this fat man was melting), San Diego, CA, Port Hueneme, CA, San Francisco, CA and finally back to Grants Pass, OR. It was over 2000 miles in a used, untested vehicle. Here is the big cajones part, Casey was 7 months old at the time! It is a good thing that he loves road trips! Now before anybody thinks that I'm stupid and unprepared, The scanner, 2 bags of tools and a manual for the vehicle (if I have one) always goes with me. The scanner also saved my ass when one of the shift solenoids went out on the Denali in the middle of Wyoming on our way to Chicago. I was able to force OD with the scanner.
As for that forum member, we had a simple communication. We have never spoke since and I'm not sure if anyone has found his body yet.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I has mentioned quality parts in a previous post. Sometimes you can get lucky and fix something a cheap way and be golden, other times it bites you in the ass. My wife is a doctors dream. She has Lupus (auto immune disease), Rheumatoid Arthritis (chronic inflammatory disorder that will eventually effect her organs) and finally, Raynauds Disease (a restriction of blood flow to the limbs, especially in cold weather). With all of her issues we have to keep her fairly temperature controlled and bathed in sun screen. SPF 50 is my favorite turn on, it means she will wear something skimpy!
The lesson that I learned, don't be a frugal ******* on A/C! We had to charge the A/C in Orlando and it worked ok. Once we got it back here a buddy of mine went through the system and it worked well. The next season and it was out of freon. I bought 3 cans @ $15 each and started charging away. Of course with the diesel running all I could hear was the engine, not the leak from the hose going to the condenser. Damn, money down the drain. I found the line available from rock auto for about $70 but I couldn't find it locally and I needed that A/C for towing my dads travel trailer that next weekend so I tried to make something work. I bought refrigerant rated hose from a local hydraulic shop, a bunch of clamps, 3 more cans of hard nipples and patched the line. All went as planned. Until it didn't. So it was a damn hot day and we were having cooling issues with the truck so we ran with the windows down when we were pulling the mountains and figured that once we got into the flats we would be able to use the A/C. We pulled over at a store and grabbed something cold. This allowed the condenser to get nice and heat soaked raising the A/C pressure to that of the internal pressure of a pubescent young man with his first look at real *******. I hit the button for nipple hardening goodness when it sounded like a bomb when off under the hood. Apparently my "fix" had decided that I had put too much pressure on it and blew the line right off!
1st fix a simple charge-$45
2nd fix-neva shudda happa-$85
3rd fix-$115
Wasted amount $130...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: