Skylark's dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sooo,I have to update this thread. Last November we bought a dead Yukon. On the way out to pick it up the dually lost #5 exhaust valve. I have been through this before with another 6.5 last year. Before ripping the heads off I did a compression check. 6.5's should have a minimum of 400psi. My highest was 250psi. No biggie I'm pulling the heads anyway. Then I did a wet check and hit 320 out of that same hole. Ruh roh! The bottom end is needing to be gone through. I have too many irons in the fire at the moment so the dually is parked with 104k on her. We are going to Hawaii in September and after that we will start looking for a Cummins. Hopefully a full engine/tranny/transfer from a 04.5-07 with all of the electronics.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
hopefully that cummins swap happens, id like to see how much it costs and how much work is involved in the end.

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I am a year behind on this story but I didn't see this thread till today. Beautiful truck too bad the motor is a POS and crapped out on ya. Hope the swap goes smoothly for ya.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A bit of an update. A conversion is out for the moment as I'm spread way too thin. I have too many projects and I really need the dually up and running. It has been almost a year since it has moved.

I'm seriously considering buying a 96 K2500 and yanking it's 6.5 to drop into the dually. I will then put it low on the project list to replace it's 6.5. Heck I might even be ready for the conversion at that point and it might get it's own engine back.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
A bit of an update. A conversion is out for the moment as I'm spread way too thin. I have too many projects and I really need the dually up and running. It has been almost a year since it has moved.

I'm seriously considering buying a 96 K2500 and yanking it's 6.5 to drop into the dually. I will then put it low on the project list to replace it's 6.5. Heck I might even be ready for the conversion at that point and it might get it's own engine back.
Wow I didn't realize it had been that long

jedifan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your truck looks great! I wish I read this thread earlier.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow I didn't realize it had been that long

It has been. I want to say that it was November 15th.

Thanks for the kind words on the truck guys! It is far from nice and that suits me fine. I just want a solid work truck again. I would like to pull a travel trailer next weekend but I can't because the Yukon just isn't strong enough for me to feel comfortable with where I would have to tow it to. It looks like a week of tent camping while elk hunting.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For any of you that have followed any of my posts, 2016 has been a year! A bunch of medical cost have totally kicked our ass. We are coming up on the 2 year mark and I really miss the dually. It is actually holding up other projects as well.

I literally have a bunch of brand new items for it that were ready to go on when it died. I have a new turbo, injectors, glow plugs, all new hoses, AC delco high flow water pump, robert shaw thermostats, high flow down pipe and crossover, Autometer boost, pyro, tranny gauges as well as every fluid and filter for the truck. It was going to be nice...

Here is the plan at this point. I had a surgery recently, as soon as I'm able I'll rip the 6.5 out. I'm going to try to find the source of getting hot under load. I'm hoping to find a smoking gun somewhere. If the bottom end is crack free it will get honed, rings, bearings, gaskets, oil pump and timing set. The heads will go to a machine shop and get pressure checked and magnafluxed. I did find a shop that can properly pressure test the heads. If all is good then they will get rebuilt with a new set of exhaust valves. If I find cracks I have another piece of shi-, I mean 6.5 for parts. I'm hoping to be able to start pulling the engine in the next couple of weeks and assemble and install the week of Thanksgiving. Does anybody have any suggestions of anything that I should do while the engine is out or during the build?