single din receiver/with wider screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John R

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 97 regular cab. Was curious if any of you have used the single din receivers that come with a larger screen. Was about to purchase a single din as I dont want to cut out my supports and mess with the dash. Im sure that dash is probably brittle and easy to crack.
Also have any of you ever used Best Buys installation service??? According to the website,BestBuy will install for free any purchase over 100 bucks. Im older now and I know sometimes free=crappy,lol. Not always.
Thanks
John

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also have any of you ever used Best Buys installation service???

If it's anything like the one in my city, stay far away.

Installing a single DIN in one of these trucks is really easy, you just need the appropriate dash kit and wiring harness adapter.

John R

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I wondered about the Best Buy installation thing. On their website;they were saying this stereo or that stereo would fit. However Crutchfield would give info that those exact stereos wouldnt fit my truck.
Got to seeing a few single dins with a larger screen (what these old eyes need,lol).
Thanks man,
John

dozerpilot

Reaction score
I was exploring that same option myself. I couldn’t find a good picture of one in a gmt400. The pictures I saw of these stereos in gmt800s made it seem like one of the large floating displays would block hvac controls, the vent, and crowd the gear selector. To add to that, I couldn’t find a nice one in stock for less than $800.

I ended up using the Metra double din replacement bezel and a ATOTO S-6. I’m really happy with this setup. The head unit is shallow enough to not require any cutting. If I ever wanted to, I could reinstall the factory bezel and radio.

Randyzzz

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I installed a Sony. It has a double din screen but a shallow single din chassis. I used the Metra small kit and cut minimally. There’s no cutting behind the dash, only on the dash panel itself. I epoxied the kit piece to the dash once I was done. Car Play and a backup camera. Life is good, and it looks good too!

Cmac98

Reaction score
I installed a Sony. It has a double din screen but a shallow single din chassis. I used the Metra small kit and cut minimally. There’s no cutting behind the dash, only on the dash panel itself. I epoxied the kit piece to the dash once I was done. Car Play and a backup camera. Life is good, and it looks good too!
What did the whole project end up costing?

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What model Sony is that?

John R

Reaction score
That looks really good.
I ended up with a single din Kenwood media player and some Focal speakers up front. Gonna do the rears but its not gonna be 4x6;then will get a small amp. But, as it is with just the Focals, it sounds really good;light on the bass, maybe I should just get a sub woofer.
Thanks
John