Silencing key in ignition alarm when vehicle is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick2253

Reaction score
'99 Yukon.

I absolutely hate the default behavior where the "key in ignition" alarm comes on when the vehicle is on. Every day I quickly pop out of the Yukon to grab the mail, and unless I shut the door, that dang alarm starts sounding.

I don't want to completely silence the alarm, because it does help when I forget my keys in the ignition and the vehicle is *off*, but I do not need the alarm when the vehicle is on.

Looking at the wiring diagrams, I'm guessing that I'll have to interrupt the "key-in warning" on the "Audio Alarm Module" with a relay that opens with ignition going high.

Has anyone does this kind of a mod before? Any suggestions are appreciated.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh. So door buzzer . Switched my to the Camaro buzzer. Bell rings. When lights left on, key in ignition, and engine off but key in ignition. When on and door open no sound

Nick2253

Reaction score
Interesting. The Camaro audio alarm module swap is on my to-do list, but it never occurred to me that the swap would also solve this problem. But considering that the module gets both always hot and hot-in-run signals, it makes sense that the module could do this.

I'll move the swap up the list and if it fixes, I'll report back. Seems like it's time to get to the junkyard.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have fun. Love it too btw. Sounds like a "newer" truck lol. Good luck

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Take the chime apart and shim the tone bar with some thin double sided tape. The space between the bar in the coil and and the piezo diaphram will increase and the volume will go down drastically but still be useful with the truck off.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach