Should I unplug the stock tweeters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattc95

Reaction score
I'm about to install some new 6 1/2 speakers in the front doors that have the tweeters built in. When I disassemble the doors should I plug the stock tweeters back in or leave them unplugged? Wondering if they will affect my new sound negatively or not

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
... hard to say if it would affect it negatively but I doubt it.. I would wire in the new speakers, sit in it and listen to them. Then plug the stock tweeters back in and see if you like it better. If you have an aftermarket radio you might have to adjust the treble or top end of the equalizer down a hair to compensate.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of "negative effects." You'll get a boost in the high frequencies for sure. I'd agree that the best solution would be to try both and see what you like, but if it were me I'd consider exchanging whatever speakers you bought for a set of components that come with their own tweeters and crossovers. A little more work on the install but you'll end up with better results.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just install the 6 1/2 in the stock location and hook the factory tweets up. You'll see gains from about 4k hertz and up and your staging will be lifted and widened...... you can opt for a set of components like that was suggested, but you won't see any advantages unless you plan on amplifying.......

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little hijack here, but I have 6.5 kickers coax, and I'm wondering if the piercing treble might be eliminated by clipping the wire to to kicker tweet and using the Delco tweet? Seems to screen at me 4k and above, set tweet x over to 4k and it doesn't do it, but I'm missing a lot of sound definition. Any one else experience that with kickers?

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
. . . I'd consider exchanging whatever speakers you bought for a set of components that come with their own tweeters and crossovers.
This is what I did on a ‘99 NBS that I had right before I bought my ‘94. I ran new speaker wire to the crossover then to the new component speakers (6.5/Tweeter). I installed the crossover in the door pocket. As said, more work but much better sound.

PS: I did use Alpine’s in-line, compact Power Pack amp along with an Alpine head unit and the component/rear speakers in order to get a better sound.

Last edited: