Should I paint my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
and when it comes to the paint all ya gotta do prep clean prep clean and take it slow man, trust me i primered the back end of a honda i used to have when i was your age.....i did kinda up in a few spots but hell it didnt look too bad, also painted my steelies annd got compliments on em

ok i know this is gonna be bad exhaust sounded good its on my brother prelude its deep instead of the raspy obnoxious ricers
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/168607_1539469488032_59128_n.jpg

like i said i did up as far as masking stuff off
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/163107_1539455407680_1628924_n.jpg

my fav pic of the car
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/39715_1366815811798_2782551_n.jpg

go ahead laugh lol

tried embeding them in here but it said they were moved or deleted which is bs oh well

That last pic looks awesome. you got the color nearly dead on. It came out really good, would've been better if you masked it off or scuffed off the paint on the trim, but oh well! Still think that's awesome how dead on the color is. Was that done with a rattle can??!

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
yeah man do what makes you happy man.... its your truck so if someone else doesn't like who cares its your truck I mean I rock red wheels think I care if nobody else likes em...... nope... I've tossed around the idea of some old school pinstriping once I get my truck painted

Sent from my static android

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If you didn't want people to influence your decision you wouldn't have made a thread.

I'm not being a di*k I'm giving my personal opinion. If you are going to get mad at some ones personal opinion then an internet forum isn't the place for you.

You painted your grill without any prep and it all peeled off the first time. And your wheels aren't Chrome. I'm sorry you go to a school full of yuppies. I went to a school with 4000 kids and I was the only kid who had their AWS G4 Cert but I had a lot more opportunities then most kids.

My honest opinion? That first picture of Jim's truck wouldn't look good on your truck, and that sketch you showed earlier wouldn't look good. However something like an old school pair of racing stripes down the center that stop at the hood and don't touch the grill might look good.

If I were you I would just lay stripes out with painters tape and start looking at what might look good. Let you imagination run wild. You never know what you might come up with and what might look good once you get it laid out on the truck and see it in person.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That last pic looks awesome. you got the color nearly dead on. It came out really good, would've been better if you masked it off or scuffed off the paint on the trim, but oh well! Still think that's awesome how dead on the color is. Was that done with a rattle can??!

not sure what ya mean by dead on color, but ya it was rattle can lol i also touched up a few spots on my truck too
did a WAY BETTER job masking it off hahaha
before
You must be registered for see images attach

after

before

after

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
If you didn't want people to influence your decision you wouldn't have made a thread.

I'm not being a di*k I'm giving my personal opinion. If you are going to get mad at some ones personal opinion then an internet forum isn't the place for you.

You painted your grill without any prep and it all peeled off the first time. And your wheels aren't Chrome. I'm sorry you go to a school full of yuppies. I went to a school with 4000 kids and I was the only kid who had their AWS G4 Cert but I had a lot more opportunities then most kids.

My honest opinion? That first picture of Jim's truck wouldn't look good on your truck, and that sketch you showed earlier wouldn't look good. However something like an old school pair of racing stripes down the center that stop at the hood and don't touch the grill might look good.

If I were you I would just lay stripes out with painters tape and start looking at what might look good. Let you imagination run wild. You never know what you might come up with and what might look good once you get it laid out on the truck and see it in person.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

I love opinions more than anything, because it will make me realize what is more acceptable on my truck. Hell, that's one reason why I post threads and ask questions whether or not i should do something, before I do it, so i can make sure my ideas are acceptable.

The part that made me mad was the fact that you basically said I suck at painting, so never try to paint anything again. The only issue i ever had was the grill peeled due to not letting it dry, and catching the painter's tape on the semi-wet surface. You want me to upload a picture of my grill now? it looks just as good as the day I re-installed it. And ive probably been on 12-15 mudding trips and driven through tall grass since then. And youre wrong, i prepped the surface with Dupli-color clear primer. Just because i mess up once does not make me a horrible painter, people learn by trail and error, i learn from my mistakes.

I chose not to scuff it due to the fact that last time i scuffed plastic, you could see the scratches through the paint, causing it to look bad. I'm not trying to sound like a little sh*t. Im just being straight up with you.

Edit: Actually if you want to see my grille now, just look at my recent thread "how to fix un-even/un-level hood"

Last edited:

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love opinions more than anything, because it will make me realize what is more acceptable on my truck. Hell, that's one reason why I post threads and ask questions whether or not i should do something, before I do it, so i can make sure my ideas are acceptable.

The part that made me mad was the fact that you basically said I suck at painting, so never try to paint anything again. The only issue i ever had was the grill peeled due to not letting it dry, and catching the painter's tape on the semi-wet surface. You want me to upload a picture of my grill now? it looks just as good as the day I re-installed it. And ive probably been on 12-15 mudding trips and driven through tall grass since then. And youre wrong, i prepped the surface with Dupli-color clear primer.

I chose not to scuff it due to the fact that last time i scuffed plastic, you could see the scratches through the paint, causing it to look bad. I'm not trying to sound like a little . Im just being straight up with you.

Edit: Actually if you want to see my grille now, just look at my recent thread "how to fix un-even/un-level hood"

bro for the sand scratches get the filler primer it will fill up them sand scratches

reference in teh pic of the rear of my truck that rustoleum is what i used its like etching primer or something just get that

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
not sure what ya mean by dead on color, but ya it was rattle can lol i also touched up a few spots on my truck too
did a WAY BETTER job masking it off hahaha
before

after

before

after

Ayee i did the same thing to my under lip of my hood as well!! It's always better to stop rust before it spreads. You thinkin' about repainting your truck later down the road?

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
bro for the sand scratches get the filler primer it will fill up them sand scratches

reference in teh pic of the rear of my truck that rustoleum is what i used its like etching primer or something just get that

I have self etching primer, but didnt have any at the time i painted my grille. That stuff is the sex

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ayee i did the same thing to my under lip of my hood as well!! It's always better to stop rust before it spreads. You thinkin' about repainting your truck later down the road?

thought about it but tbh the truck doesnt really need it so i probably wont, when i first got it was wasnt a fan of the color but its kinda growing on me be its unique and different.

thing that sucks bout under the hood is water is getting between the grill and hood lip so thats what causes it, therefore its starting to come back, i may scuff just the sliver part of the grill just the part under the hood and paint it black so it matches the other part thats black on the grill shell......hope that makes sense

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
thought about it but tbh the truck doesnt really need it so i probably wont, when i first got it was wasnt a fan of the color but its kinda growing on me be its unique and different.

I know what you mean. I hated the summit white on mine until i started color-matching everything, then i fell in love. I actually like that color yours is. Dont really know the name of it though. haha.