Short throw shifter dilema

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
I have a short throw shifter I was planning to install in my truck but after pulling my old one out it appears that the ball is not in the same location on the new shifter. The ball on my old shifter is recessed inside the housing and the ball on the new one sticks out. I've seen some photos on here of other short throw shifters and they seem to be sticking out too. Will it work like this? I'm not sure how far the ball can set down into the linkage. If not, is there an adapter plate I can get somewhere to raise the housing up?

My truck is a '90 GMC K1500 with the NV3500

You must be registered for see images attach

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that thread. I noticed his shifter is like my new one with the ball sticking out of it. From what I can find online, it looks like the 93-97 trucks used this shifter. I guess I will have a spacer made for it. Thank goodness it wasn't too short instead. I can't seem to find the shifters anywhere.

smburnette

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if a shirt throw shifter is made for my 91...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crazymater91

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines a 5lm60 its a predecessor to the nv3500

Here a pic of new/old
You must be registered for see images attach

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
I didn't know that. Good thing I joined this forum.

After a little research it appears that the two transmissions are very similar externally. Not sure what the differences are but the short throw shifter I have isn't the right one. I think I could make it work by machining an adapter plate to raise the base of the short throw up to where I need it to be.

This may all be a moot point. I'm considering swapping to a TH400 now.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
I wonder if a shirt throw shifter is made for my 91...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a guy on ebay that makes these shifters but he's shut down for about a month to relocate. You can go ahead and contact him now to verify that he can get you one once he opens up again.

Here is a link to his ebay store.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/core-shifters