shop install cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
i don't have a budget yet because i don't know what is too much to spend. and it isn't really about performance. i really just need an engine and was trying to find out if there was any options for something better than the tbi.

If it's not about performance, then you would just get another tbi....... :think:

If you DID care about performance, you could build up another tbi while you have it ripped apart OR you could get a crate engine/ls1 in it. Once you know what you want we can help you from there.

cheebs

Reaction score
If it's not about performance, then you would just get another tbi....... :think:

If you DID care about performance, you could build up another tbi while you have it ripped apart OR you could get a crate engine/ls1 in it. Once you know what you want we can help you from there.

sometimes things seem more extra than they are. i have heard and read of other engines being put into our trucks. a lot of these swaps are done by the trucks owners and if i had the space i think i could do the same. now here is where the issues is i do not have a performance goal based on the fact that i can not do the work myself. what i am looking to see is if there are any other engines that fit in at a fair price. something that will not be a huge jump in install time. i would like to go to a few shops with a lil info in hand to know whether or not i am getting a fair deal. if this is not possible than i will just put another tbi in.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
go on summit/jegs wahtever and get a motor package from them. if your spending 2-3k on an engine go and do it right with an ls platform or a cummins for that matter. either way to get rid of tbi youll have alot of swapping and wiring to do.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
nothing truth I'd just be happy to drive my truck again

easiest, cheapest, fastest thing to do then would be to just go get another one out of another truck and have a shop stick it in for you. Did you have someone look at your current engine? Can it just be rebuilt?

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Well, there are lots of options for different engines in these trucks. Each person has their own goals and budgets to deal with. Being you are having a shop do the swap a ballpark estimate on anything other than an TBI compatible swap will run between $8000 and $10,000 parts and labor, with lots of down time.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
we can build you a badass tbi. anything is possible with those and can be as reliable as a dog that makes you breakfast in the morning and gets your paper for you to read.

cheebs

Reaction score
easiest, cheapest, fastest thing to do then would be to just go get another one out of another truck and have a shop stick it in for you. Did you have someone look at your current engine? Can it just be rebuilt?

it has a rod knock. i think it can be rebuilt. is rebuilding cheaper than replacing it?

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Throw in a 454, or rebuild do performance heads, upgrade the intake, tbi unit, headers and exhaust if you can't rebuild yours get a rebuilt one and do what I said above or get a GM crate motor and do more to it depending on what is already done, like others said anything besides a TBI motor wouldn't be a simple swap it could be done tho

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2