shop install cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheebs

Reaction score
i have a 95 suburban and my tbi engine is toast. so i am looking to get another put in. i can do a swap but have no where to do it. so i was wondering if i could get a general idea of what an install should cost? what is too much? and if i went vortec what should be a round about install cost for that? i know that it is hard to say but you guys should be able to let me know how much is too much. i am open to other ideas as far as to what engine to replace mine with too.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Book time on a long block install is 17.7 hours. So depending on what the shop labor rate is per hour (going rate around here is 85.00 an hour) looking at about 1,500 for just the labor of putting a TBI. Swapping to a Vortec really isn't feasible being TBI is OBD1 and Vortec is OBDII. Yes it can be done but looking at big bucks because at a shop because of all the wiring and harnesses and tuning. You could use a Vortec block with a Vortec to TBI intake and still keep the TBI. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

cheebs

Reaction score
well here's how i see it i have to get an engine. i don't want to spend 2500 to 3 grand to just replace the tbi engine. it doesn't seem worth it. but i would not mind spending that much for a better engine.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
You wont be able to swap in a Vortec for $2500-$3000. You might....and thats a "big might" be able to use a Vortec block with a Vortec to Tbi intake and have it a "TBI Vortec" for that cost. To put it bluntly, putting a Vortec in place of your TBI will be just a tad bit different than putting an LS in place of your TBI. And Im not sure of the labor costs for doing the swap at a shop but it wont be cheap.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
i need a lil more info. please

hopefully someone else will jump in because I'm not the best on that.... it's what I plan on doing to mine once the engine goes. They would be able to recommend some good builds, but if you aren't doing it yourself.... I'm not sure how much it would cost to swap in. :shrug:

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Whats your budget? What are your performance goals? What are the specs of your truck? Swapping anything other than another TBI 350 in place of your old one will require tuning, parts and alot of added time and expense.

cheebs

Reaction score
i don't have a budget yet because i don't know what is too much to spend. and it isn't really about performance. i really just need an engine and was trying to find out if there was any options for something better than the tbi.