Shocks and front end parts advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info man, I'm aware of the lower BJ and how to deal with them lol.

Why do you wish you kept OEM axles? I think mine are original and it's just a torn boot as of now, so could get away with just changing the boot.

Why did you replace the hub?

And what does the outer axle shaft seal actually seal?

I'm pretty sure my outer seal on the driver side is leaking, so I'll be replacing that. I think I might actually have more than that leaking so I need to get some good pictures and see what people think.

I wish I kept the OEM CV axles just because of their heft compared to the Cardone. There were actually OEM front axle shafts on Rockauto for sale at the time I was doing my replacement and I believe they were ~$350 ea. I didn't know that one could rebuild CV axles, so just threw them out to save space in my tiny garage. You could probably rebuild and get a good price on ebay if nothing else. I just assumed they were a wear item and didn't think to look into getting money for them.

I replaced the hubs because I had front bearing noise at higher speeds. Assumed it was the hubs, but turns out it was actually the front diff bearings making noise. The seal pops into the rear of the knuckle and keeps debris out of the hub bearings. it seals around the outboard end of the cv axle where it enters the knuckle.

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mevotech's regular stuff is crap. Mevotech Supreme is supposed to be good. I say supposed to be because if you look hard enough there are plenty of people complaining about premature failure.

Moog has different series, just like ACDelco. Moog "Problem Solver" series, is the good stuff. Most of it's still Made in the USA. With ACDelco, the "Advantage" stuff is crap, the "Professional" stuff is good. As for price, oftentimes ACDelco and Moog are very similar in price.

I work at an auto parts store, Moog stuff doesn't come back often. Our generic house brand stuff comes back a lot, a few thousand miles later... definitely don't go cheap LOL. Then again I'm in the process of doing almost the entire front end of my truck with our cheap generic brand of stuff.

You might wonder, "why, Michael, are you putting that junk on your truck when you just told me it sucks?" Well, here's why... when it goes out, and I saw when, not if, I'll return it under warranty and spend the extra to trade up to Moog. I'm just on a very very tight budget right now, and I'm doing all the work myself on my days off so I'm not wasting money on labor. And I have a lifetime alignment package through Firestone so I don't need to pay for another alignment after replacing front end parts again.

So, cheap junk has its uses, but if you only wanna do it once, Moog Problem Solver or ACDelco Professional is the way to go!

As for the shocks, I've sold MonoMax to several regular customers that use their trucks for work, off-road, etc, because we can get them faster and cheaper than they can find Bilsteins online. EVERY single one is happy with them and they hold up. What absolutely doesn't hold up is Rancho. So many warranty returns it's not even funny! I've worked there for a little over two years and we have had the same guy warranty his Ranchos off his F-150 four times so far!! Hmm, I wonder who makes Rancho... oh, it's owned by the same company that makes Monroe. No wonder Rancho is junk!

Thanks for all the info man, I appreciate it!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just looked at the KYB shocks on Rockauto... I think I'd get the Gas-a-just instead of the mono-max. Either one, has a rebate going on, Though.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just here to add a +1 for the KYB shocks. I wanted Billstein but was talked into KYB (made in Kentucky - I love made in the USA stuff). Initially I hated them, but after a couple hundred miles of break-in, they are very nice. Price is hard to beat too, considering KYB is a fairly good brand overall.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some input regarding salt on the roads. When I rebuilt my front end I wire wheeled the frame pretty good all around, sprayed rust converter on and top coated with Frame paint - the usual diy. That only lasts so long since it’s all rattle can stuff so I sealed all the work in with RP-342 Corrosion Inhibitor. So far so good. Apparently, the only thing that gets this stuff off is gasoline.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
I'd recommend bilstein hds.they are, in my opinion the best shock/ride I have ever felt on these trucks.i won't use anything else. amazon usually has them for $70-80
I normally go with moog when I replace front end stuff.

Stillruns

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some input on what shocks to buy and any advice on replacing parts in my front end. quick background on my truck is its a 98 Chevy K1500 ecsb Z71, has 355km and I live in northern Alberta, so we see winters as cold as -40C. There is also a good chance I'll be moving to eastern Canada where they salt the roads at some point (I'm in the military).

First question is for the shocks, are the Bilstein 4600 worth their price (~$100 each at rockauto)? Or would a KYB or something for a cheaper price be just as good? My truck doesnt usually see much weight in the back, and I only tow a double skidoo trailer or a boat, nothing too heavy.

Second thing is I'm replacing pretty much everything in the front end, I had a lot of torn boots and just kept greasing them but now I have time to fix it. pretty much every boot is torn so I plan on replacing inner and outer tie rods with adjustment sleeves, pitman arm, idler arm with bracket, upper control arm (comes with BJ and bushings), lower BJ and bushings, sway bar links and bushings, and CV axles. Aside from the axles I plan on buying Mevotech Supreme, I was told the Terrain Tough is better but that's a big price increase and my truck doesnt see much offroad, nor do I have over sized tires. Anyone have an opinion on this brand?

For CVs I was going to get Cardone Select 661009HD, any opinion on those?

There's no need to replace the center link right? And along that train of though is it worth replacing the adjustment sleeve with the tie rods?

The CVs come with axle nuts, is there any other hardware that I should be buying new for this job?

I was also thinking about replacing the leaf spring bushings and the U bolts, do you guys think that is worth doing?

Thanks for any input, this will be a big job for me and i'm trying to make sure I have everything sorted it out and thought of before I commit and buy the parts.
Hey guys, I'm looking for some input on what shocks to buy and any advice on replacing parts in my front end. quick background on my truck is its a 98 Chevy K1500 ecsb Z71, has 355km and I live in northern Alberta, so we see winters as cold as -40C. There is also a good chance I'll be moving to eastern Canada where they salt the roads at some point (I'm in the military).

First question is for the shocks, are the Bilstein 4600 worth their price (~$100 each at rockauto)? Or would a KYB or something for a cheaper price be just as good? My truck doesnt usually see much weight in the back, and I only tow a double skidoo trailer or a boat, nothing too heavy.

Second thing is I'm replacing pretty much everything in the front end, I had a lot of torn boots and just kept greasing them but now I have time to fix it. pretty much every boot is torn so I plan on replacing inner and outer tie rods with adjustment sleeves, pitman arm, idler arm with bracket, upper control arm (comes with BJ and bushings), lower BJ and bushings, sway bar links and bushings, and CV axles. Aside from the axles I plan on buying Mevotech Supreme, I was told the Terrain Tough is better but that's a big price increase and my truck doesnt see much offroad, nor do I have over sized tires. Anyone have an opinion on this brand?

For CVs I was going to get Cardone Select 661009HD, any opinion on those?

There's no need to replace the center link right? And along that train of though is it worth replacing the adjustment sleeve with the tie rods?

The CVs come with axle nuts, is there any other hardware that I should be buying new for this job?

I was also thinking about replacing the leaf spring bushings and the U bolts, do you guys think that is worth doing?

Thanks for any input, this will be a big job for me and i'm trying to make sure I have everything sorted it out and thought of before I commit and buy the parts.

Jeff,

I know Mevo is a Canadian product but don't trust them out of national loyalty! They aren't bad but for the labor time invested, go with Moog "Problem Solver". They aren't too much more and worth saving up for. If you go with Moog upper arm assembly it already has their best parts. If you want a beast of a lower ball joint, go Proforged.
For your steering parts, again, go Moog.
For the sway bar bushings and links, go Delco Professional, (not "Advantage"). They are urethane and fair priced.
KYB is an excellent value and a great shock.

New centerlink... no, (unless the tapered holes are wallowed out... doubtful).
New tie rod sleeves... yes, (they're cheap enough).

No other hardware needed with new axles... just make sure the boots are neoprene not rubber.

Keep in mind, even replacing all front suspension parts so the truck is back to original specs, it will probably still need alignment for camber/caster, (definitely for toe). If this has not been done on your truck in the past, you may need to knock out the upper A-arm pivot holes, (to allow adjustment). It's easy to do while apart and knock out punches are cheap, (like Lysle or similar).

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE... Do not torque upper and lower A-arm pivot bolts until your truck is at ride height... it will ruin your new bushings!

Save your coin and buy the best you can... with regular grease service you will likely never need to do it again.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I know Mevo is a Canadian product...

The company is Canadian, but I don' think any production is. I don't know if they are simply reselling or if they actually have in-house engineering.

The Mevotech stuff I bought was Chinese. I suspect their higher end stuff to be made in Taiwan, but I don't know that for sure.