Shimming the thermal 4 x 4 actuator for 4 x 4 on demand.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whelp, my thermal actuator puked out on me during our first snow storm yesterday. Is it possible to just pull it out and attach a shim to the end of it to lock the front end together? I see the kit to do that is just a threaded pin that replaces the thermal actuator itself. But it's as expensive as the upgraded electric actuator so screw that. I'd rather just have my front end locked in for the winter and do the electric actuator conversion in the spring. I was going to do the Posi-Lok kit when this time came but after looking it over some I am not impressed one bit.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The electric actuator swap can be pretty cheap if you get lucky at the junkyard and fine one that has been converted and has the shim inside, and you are handy with a wiring diagram. You can merge the harness part in pretty easily. Around 96-97 the front diff parts changed and there is no shim.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
If you are interested I have my old working thermal actuator sitting on a shelf if you just want to keep it stock until you switch. Maybe 10 bucks + shipping?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do a search. You can jam a socket in there, thread the housing back on, and have it locked full time. I just don't recall what dimensions you need. The solution is likely sitting in your toolbox. Plus the oil will preserve it until you do the electric swap.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are interested I have my old working thermal actuator sitting on a shelf if you just want to keep it stock until you switch. Maybe 10 bucks + shipping?

I sure appreciate it, but part of the reason I want to do this is that my wife may be driving this thing once a week or so and trying to 'splain to her how you have to wait for the 4 x 4 thingy to light up before you **** can it because you might be getting stuck just isn't getting across. Not saying she's done it yet, but trust me, she will. Waiting 3-4 seconds and/or rocking the thing back and forth to get up an icy driveway sucks. Pull the stick and it's in 4 x 4 NOW. In the non-winter months that's no big deal to me.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
late to the party but with my 93, I somehow burned out two actuators in less than a month. I just pulled back the rubber boot over the actuator, extended it, shoved some square nuts in between the end of the actuator and the actuator body, and pulled the rubber back down over it all.. Reinstalled it fully extended and never again had a problem with it. All this while the truck was stuck in a snowbank at -15 degrees in Fairbanks, AK... Not fun. Once done, truck drove itself right out of that hole tho.