She cranked but she damn sure wasn't happy about it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
So in the midst of a sinus infection I got the last few things bolted back on this 99 Suburban after swapping cylinder heads for fresh remans. 5.7 Vortec. I've done this before on a nearly identical truck so this time went with far less trouble except me dropping everything.

So tonight I went to go crank her up. She'd sat for a week after I installed the new lifters, so I left the coil wire off and gave the motor a good 15 revolutions before reinstalling the coil wire and giving her some spark.

She didn't like it at all. Hard to start, and wouldn't run worth a flip (stammer, stutter, no backfiring that I could hear though). Would stall if I didn't give her gas.

So I did the usual-- checked for forgotten vacuum hoses (all good), made sure the plug wires were on the right plugs, etc. Decided that I must have the distributor 180 despite being quite certain I installed it properly. Also noticed an odd burnt smell. Smelled a bit like fuel, but more like something electronic that gave up it's smoke. I chalked it up to the unburned fuel or maybe some leftover solvent/oils from all the cleaning I'd been doing.

Either way, I pulled out the distributor, reinstalled it with #1 at TDC compression, and the electrode aligned up like everyone says (pointing to the "8"). At that point I noticed the Throttle Position Sensor plug was loose, so maybe that was it to begin with. I plugged her back in.

Went to start her up to see if I had fixed her good.

CLICK. Nothing. Tried again, CLICK, nothing. I think my first round of starting her up fried something on the starter, I assume the solenoid.

Battery was good, 12.4 to 12.5 depending on what I tested it with. I have it on a charger now, I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

I did pull the battery, and also the belt, and turned the motor over by hand to make sure I hadn't seized it somehow, but I don't think you can damage these motors when it's 180 out like you can an interference engine.

I guess if I were to ask a question... the only other thing I can think of is maybe I did a bad valve adjustment job. I bought Enginetech lifters and they say you are suppose to adjust lash 1.5 turns past 0 lash (Chevy says 3/4). I actually only did 1.25 turns just to hedge my bets since I think the 1.5 sounds a bit much.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Were the lifters pumped up full of oil when you set the valves? If not you could have set them way too tight.

I don't like the twist the push rod method of checking the lash. I lightly bounce the push rod up and down on the plunger until it doesn't bounce. Then I go 1/2 a turn. This will work with lifters that aren't pumped up as well.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Lifters were not pumped, nor should they be from what I understand.

Rod lash was checked by vertical movement like you said..

Starter wasn't shot. After recharging the battery the starter worked just fine today.

But no start this time. I know I'm not 180 off on the distributor this time. Seemed like it had no spark. Checked all the connections, no dice.

I pulled the plugs and checked compression. Consistent 150-155 on 1,3,5 (1 and 3 were 180/175 before the head swap).

At which point I surrendered to the sinus infection and went inside out of the drippy rain.

I am going to try backing off on the rocker nuts and see if that help get compression back up.