Shake/Vibration when Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m far from a physics genius, but the only thing I see that affecting is the resonant frequency of the driveshaft. 2 u-joints, in the proper phase alignment and in the same rotational plane, will cancel out their inherent resonance. I’m probably wrong but it makes sense to me that the bigger driveshaft would just mask the misalignment by changing the frequency of the u joints.
Don’t stop there :D, what’s your thoughts on them saying the reduced sections are the cause of issue? I mean, my manual says I can tow 6K!
I should’ve included part of his point was the longer length of my driveshaft compounded with the 2 1/2” reduction was part of their assessment.
Yes, she said that too! ;)

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This guy gives a really good explanation of pinion angles and such

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea but that’s all factory stuff (as far as we know) the only difference being the springs you put on? Are they lift springs or just heavier duty?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea but that’s all factory stuff (as far as we know) the only difference being the springs you put on? Are they lift springs or just heavier duty?
Just a little more HD. You could’ve orthud truck with 4/5 springs like I’ve got.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NITRO-GIRTH!

"Up" and "Down" refer to the angle of an item as installed on the vehicle, from front to rear. Higher in front is a downward slope, higher in the rear is an upward slope.

Measure your driveshaft angles WITH THE LOAD ATTACHED. I would expect the axle pinion to be a degree or three "down" compared to the transmisson/transfer case, because it'll rise under torque, and under torque the pinion angle should be the same or nearly the same as the transfer-case angle.

Here's a Spicer calculator for U-joint angles. Using your figures of 11, 7, and 5 degrees, all "down", your front U-joint is operating at a 4 degree angle, and the rear U-joint is operating at 2 degrees. Yeah, I bet it shakes. But again, the angles when loaded are going to be more important.

and a video showing how to measure and calculate angles: