SES Light - Idle Air Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has had an SES light pop on every now and then. It usually pops on when the truck is warmed up, has been running, and then sits at a stop light for a bit. As soon as I start moving again, the light goes off. The paperclip check on the code told me it was the IAC. Months ago, I changed out the IAC valve, since it was only $20 at AutoZone, but that didn't fix the light. I was told that it was probably a carbon buildup in front of the valve. My question is, how do I clean this out? I don't want to force all of that buildup into the combustion chamber (or do I), so is removing the throttle body the only way to clean it?

Help/advice is appreciated.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Remove the TB, its real easy to take off (Make sure to get a Gasket), flip t over, and clean out the passage for the IAC. (Easy to see)

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem I have removing the TB is getting the fuel lines off. Those nuts are on there damn tight, and I'm terrified of damaging them. I'll fight with it this weekend though, since I also need to pull my starter and take it in to be tested. The truck is now slow-cranking at start-up, and my battery/alternator work.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
The problem I have removing the TB is getting the fuel lines off. Those nuts are on there damn tight, and I'm terrified of damaging them. I'll fight with it this weekend though, since I also need to pull my starter and take it in to be tested. The truck is now slow-cranking at start-up, and my battery/alternator work.

Get some Flare-Nut Wrenches, they will stop you from stripping the fitting.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I got my car fixed, so I'm putting the truck fix off until next weekend. I'll look into the wrenches though.