Service engine soon light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 94 k1500 burban runs great, but the service engine soon light comes on after about 10-15 minutes of driving. If I turn off the truck and start it again the light is off but comes back on 10-15 minutes later. I have no idea where to start looking since it's obd1. Any suggestions?

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
My 94 k1500 burban runs great, but the service engine soon light comes on after about 10-15 minutes of driving. If I turn off the truck and start it again the light is off but comes back on 10-15 minutes later. I have no idea where to start looking since it's obd1. Any suggestions?

Probably the EGR valve, mine was doing the same exact thing and I coded it and that's what it was; just replaced the valve although a lot of people just delete them.

Also you can Google or youtube how to read codes with OBD1 it's really simple, takes like 5 mins.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably the EGR valve, mine was doing the same exact thing and I coded it and that's what it was; just replaced the valve although a lot of people just delete them.

Also you can Google or youtube how to read codes with OBD1 it's really simple, takes like 5 mins.

You rock, thanks man! The valve is super cheap so I'll just swap it tomorrow and see what happens

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why don't you just pull the codes before you spend money on parts that you might not need? That a paper clip and jumper A&B terms in the ALDL and read the flashes to get your codes.

Not a bad idea, got a link to a walkthrough? I know I can jumper a couple pins together but idk what the next piece is. That being said, an egr valve is cheap and I don't mind replacing cheap parts, it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
gm-aldl-connector-gif.194356

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Take a paper clip an shape it into a "u" and insert it into terminal A and B, turn the ignition to on and watch the CEL. it should flash once followed by 2 more flashes. this code 12 , It tells you that the system is operational. It will repeat 3 times and then move to the next stored code. An EGR code 32 will be 3 slow flashes followed by 2 quicker flashes repeated 3 times. Write the codes down and then look up the diagnostic chart/trouble shooting flow chart and follow it from the top. When you have retrieved all of your codes turn of the key and remove the paper clip jumper.

You will have all of the stored codes when the system repeats its self.( code 12 comes back to the beginning)

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take a paper clip an shape it into a "u" and insert it into terminal A and B, turn the ignition to on and watch the CEL. it should flash once followed by 2 more flashes. this code 12 , It tells you that the system is operational. It will repeat 3 times and then move to the next stored code. An EGR code 32 will be 3 slow flashes followed by 2 quicker flashes repeated 3 times. Write the codes down and then look up the diagnostic chart/trouble shooting flow chart and follow it from the top. When you have retrieved all of your codes turn of the key and remove the paper clip jumper.

You will have all of the stored codes when the system repeats its self.( code 12 comes back to the beginning)

You're the man. I'll give this a try in a few hours

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You have a wealth of information at your fingertips...simple google searches would show you how to check codes on OBD1.

But let me help: http://www.troublecodes.net/gm/

To repeat previous wise advice, don't just start throwing parts at it. And if you do turn up a code 32 for the EGR, that doesn't necessarily mean the EGR valve is bad (likely, but not 100% proof) - and you also don't want to waste money on a generic parts house EGR valve.

Richard