Sentimental durability, Is that a thing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean like I'm just so curious curious. The idea of sentimental durability. Regular durability is engineered in a product. Steel of the chassie. Engine design ect...
But what makes a vehicle worth the blood sweat and tears of restoring or profitable for companies to stamp out patch panels.
Can a style or design grow on you?
For example why is there parts for road runners yet not for Belvidere.
Or how hard is it to find panels for a g20 vs c/k 2500.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The 70s and 80s GM vans are unit body, as opposed to the body on frame design our trucks use. The company I worked for, a couple jobs ago, had a fleet of the G20s that they flogged the snot out of on a regular basis. You know, the old "it ain't my truck so I don't care" thing that happens to so many work vehicles. After a while of driving on really bad roads( midtown and downtown Houston we're getting majorly reworked for the Metro Rail then, and all the roads were S**t), the sliding door on the side would barely work, and the other doors had issues too. I know several people who had this era van, that when wrecked, was never square again. The newer generation is much better designed.
Also, in a word: rust!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're all appliances. Run them until they die and find another vehicle to love. I really liked my '83 RX-7 GSL, but I wouldn't trade my '06 Mustang GT for one. I'm getting near the end of my Mustang ownership, and I'm planning on replacing it with a Miata.

Why am I rebuilding two GMT400s? Because they're cheap and easy to rebuild and I can't afford $60k for a brand new truck.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean like I'm just so curious curious. The idea of sentimental durability. Regular durability is engineered in a product. Steel of the chassie. Engine design ect...
But what makes a vehicle worth the blood sweat and tears of restoring or profitable for companies to stamp out patch panels.
Can a style or design grow on you?
For example why is there parts for road runners yet not for Belvidere.
Or how hard is it to find panels for a g20 vs c/k 2500.
Style can grow on one-I i.e. was never fan of obs-it was too"modern". Now I love it to bits. Never pumped so much money into a vehicle.
I think what makes vehicles"special"is media-film,music and also the "special"factor-as in Roadrunner-the "fastest" one,with blacked out grille and great colors.Even tho Belvedere would probably catch up with it. And rarity.
Some cars struggle-like sn95 stang-even Cobras fetch lil money. Hard to explain really.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Style can grow on one-I i.e. was never fan of obs-it was too"modern". Now I love it to bits. Never pumped so much money into a vehicle.
I think what makes vehicles"special"is media-film,music and also the "special"factor-as in Roadrunner-the "fastest" one,with blacked out grille and great colors.Even tho Belvedere would probably catch up with it. And rarity.
Some cars struggle-like sn95 stang-even Cobras fetch lil money. Hard to explain really.
Have to totally agree with the special factor. Considering if enough people wanted a certain vehicle the aftermarket would make replacement parts for