Sentimental durability, Is that a thing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One of my older neighbors (they have a large family) has a short G-something van. He always takes it for a spin on Sunday mornings.

Vans are not as cool as trucks, and the American family has been shrinking since the 70s. With the exception of the Hipsters trying to convert full sized vans to camping rigs, not a high demand for them. And I don't think the old SBC engines they had in that generation lived long lives compared to modern engines. Maybe?

IIRC, folks back then said an engine was good for 100k. Modern engines with better bearing materials, better gaskets, and better electronics, etc. run a good 200k. Some make it 300k with little work, besides basic maintenance. Those numbers were just not possible back then as far as I remember.

Express vans are a bit different story. Just about any contractor around here drives one, even the older ones. Folks even buy the passenger version and remove the seats and load their tools and go to town.

My other neighbor is a paint contractor and has an Express.

Speaking of those vans, I read they are finally getting phased out, in favor of something similar to the Ford Transit unibody version...

What is your question anyway?

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More of the part of the sentimental durability or trying to think of the term here. Like why something of a similar platform or similar design we're similar design if it's a desirable one less longer than the undesirable 1.. Why why certain vehicles have a huge aftermarket support community that would include le let's say new body shells or aftermarket frames. Why are there reproductions of tri five Chevrolet's. But not other makes. Reproductions of 32 Fords but not other thirties are a vehicles. Or why is one style built in similar fashion to another last longer.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One of my older neighbors (they have a large family) has a short G-something van. He always takes it for a spin on Sunday mornings.

Vans are not as cool as trucks, and the American family has been shrinking since the 70s. With the exception of the Hipsters trying to convert full sized vans to camping rigs, not a high demand for them. And I don't think the old SBC engines they had in that generation lived long lives compared to modern engines. Maybe?

IIRC, folks back then said an engine was good for 100k. Modern engines with better bearing materials, better gaskets, and better electronics, etc. run a good 200k. Some make it 300k with little work, besides basic maintenance. Those numbers were just not possible back then as far as I remember.

Express vans are a bit different story. Just about any contractor around here drives one, even the older ones. Folks even buy the passenger version and remove the seats and load their tools and go to town.

My other neighbor is a paint contractor and has an Express.

Speaking of those vans, I read they are finally getting phased out, in favor of something similar to the Ford Transit unibody version...

What is your question anyway?
Have to agree there, because trucks always have the cowboy imagery. While vans are kind of view as the tool. Unless you're talking about the funky Van craze of the seventies. Yeah no one goes gaga like the most cars of the era. Maybe because the vans signify malaise (the dark era for the American automotive industry where the once mighty V8 was choked with emissions equipment of the era.)

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm getting thrown off by the "durability" statement.

Something is desirable because it is "cool." Trucks are cool. Likewise, "Cameros" and Mustangs and Challengers are cool. Station wagons and full sized vans and minivans are not cool.
Edit: in other words: the single guy with a lot of money and a sports car is cool, the guy with a wife and kids is not... LOL.

If folks start restoring a specific vehicle, then there's a demand for those parts. Demand and supply? I don't know.

I don't really know anything about 70s or older vehicles though.

I like to think of trucks as the modern day equivalent of a horse. Having a horse back in the day was a mode of transportation and a prestige. Without a horse you couldn't do a lot.You rode a fine horse if you were someone important and vice versa.

The American truck (and automobiles in general) have kinda replaced that...do you agree?

Last edited:

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm getting thrown off by the "durability" statement.

Something is desirable because it is "cool." Trucks are cool. Likewise, "Cameros" and Mustangs and Challengers are cool. Station wagons and full sized vans and minivans are not cool.

If folks start restoring a specific vehicle, then there's a demand for those parts. Demand and supply? I don't know.

I don't really know anything about 70s or older vehicles though.

I like to think of trucks as the modern day equivalent of a horse. Having a horse back in the day was a mode of transportation and a prestige. Without a horse you couldn't do a lot.You rode a fine horse if you were someone important and vice versa.

The American truck (and automobiles in general) have kinda replaced that...do you agree?
I probably have a strong agreement with that to be honest. Even though I remember a few friends saying oh you're wasting your money fixing that rust or something like that. Then again there are people comment and compliment oh how cool your vehicle is.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing about the old G-series vans I think is the "stigma" around them....y'know...creeper vans?
Same with most full size or full length panel vans (Chevy Express, Ford Ecoline, Dodge B-bodies). They all have the "candy van" stigma stuck around them, how many times have you been out driving, and commented "Look a candy van!"
I know I've done it countless times.

And as far as the sentimental durability, a lot of these trucks are getting to the "classic" status, everyone who loves these trucks has had them in their lives for quite some time, whether it's their dad or grandpa or family member had an old Z71 they made memories in, or hell, even the people who were fortunate enough to buy them brand new off the lot!
I know I wanted an OBS because of the fond memories I had of my father's trucks. Plus, I can't afford a new 3/4 ton or a new 1-ton. And it's a lot more fun doing stuff in an old truck compared to a new one anyway.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing about the old G-series vans I think is the "stigma" around them....y'know...creeper vans?
Same with most full size or full length panel vans (Chevy Express, Ford Ecoline, Dodge B-bodies). They all have the "candy van" stigma stuck around them, how many times have you been out driving, and commented "Look a candy van!"
I know I've done it countless times.

And as far as the sentimental durability, a lot of these trucks are getting to the "classic" status, everyone who loves these trucks has had them in their lives for quite some time, whether it's their dad or grandpa or family member had an old Z71 they made memories in, or hell, even the people who were fortunate enough to buy them brand new off the lot!
I know I wanted an OBS because of the fond memories I had of my father's trucks. Plus, I can't afford a new 3/4 ton or a new 1-ton. And it's a lot more fun doing stuff in an old truck compared to a new one anyway.
True. Even though every car guy would like to be the A team sometimes.
I guess it also depends on culture and everything but reading about planned obsolescence and other things. Maybe I'm curious on that kind of stuff. What makes us car guys tick I guess

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Curious thing why is there more Chevy and Gmc parts than Oldsmobile parts question On the exact same model of vehicle Bravada, Jimmy and S10. I mean LMC truck sells GMC and Chevy grilles.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Curious thing why is there more Chevy and Gmc parts than Oldsmobile parts question On the exact same model of vehicle Bravada, Jimmy and S10. I mean LMC truck sells GMC and Chevy grilles.

I don't think the Bravada ever sold well. GM did a poor job at marketing Olds for years before they closed the brand.