Scrufdog's 95 Burb build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Originally posted this in the other member forum, decided to update and move to this forum.

With a family of 5, squeezing growing kids into the extended cab pickup was getting a little tight, so I decided I needed a more family oriented type vehicle. I'd rather jump off a cliff than drive a minivan, so the hunt was on. At first I was thinking maybe a Caprice of something, newer Impala, then it hit me in the face "HEY A-HOLE, How About A Suburban??!!?". Looked around for a bit, and found the one I have now.

1995 Chevy Suburban C2500 LS
5.7 - L05, Block Casting # 14093638, Assm Plant Stamp # V1207P JF
4L80-E - MT1
3.73 14 Bolt FF Rear - GT4
8 Pass seating
Hydroboost brakes - JD7
Power Everything
Front and Rear A/C and Heat

It was in pretty sad shape when I test drove it. Missing all over the RPM range, some weird thumping noise up front, and a complete mess inside. I wish I would have taken a picture of under the hood when I got it. Then entire engine compartment was rusty orange from a hose burst at some point. I mean everything was covered.

When I got it there was a ton of stuff wrong with it. I started writing lists in a fresh notebook I had and after a couple weeks I decided to keep it as as journal/maintenance log just for The Burb. I keep a detailed log of all the work I've done so far, as well as an updated 'to do list' that moves with me through the pages.

I figured it wouldnt hurt to keep a digital copy of whats going on since I have the option. Never hurts to have in case I'm out and need to know something, but dont have the journal with me. It may take a couple days to update everything I have so far. Guess I'll start with general information and go from there.

RPO codes:

AG9 - 6 way power seat, Drivers side only
AJ1 - Tinted windows, except front and windshield
AS3 - Suburban Seating, 2 buckets, split bench, full bench
AT5 - Folding rear seat, bench
AU3 - Electric locks, no remote
AXP - Multi purpose vehicle
A31 - Power windows
A95 - Front bucket seats, with folding arm rest
B33 - Rear carpet mats
B37 - Front + RR carpet mats
B85 - Exterior molding
B96 - Wheel fender molding
C36 - Aux heater (rear)
C49 - Rear window defogger
C6P - 8600 Lbs GVW
C60 - Front A/C - Heat
C69 - Rear A/C - Heat
DK6 - Interior Roof Console
D48 - Power mirrors
D55 - Front center console
FE9 - Federal Emissions
GT4 - 3.73 Gear Ratio
JAN - Built in Janesville, WI
JD7 - 8400lb rated brakes, hydroboost, Frt 12.5, Rr 13x2.5
KNP - HD Tranny Cooler, inline with radiator trans cooler
K34 - Cruise Control
K68 - 105 Amp alternator, really? on a dual a/c system? couldnt throw in the big one?
L05 - 5.7L V8 TBI
MT1 - 4L80-E Tranny
NA4 - 8500lb Emissions
NA5 - Federal Emissions Tier 0
NP5 - Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
N33 - Tilt Steering
P06 - Disc wheels
QIZ - LT245/75/16, All
R9V - Control Sales Item No. 96
SLM - Stock Order
UL0 - AM/FM Radio
UQ3 - Premium audio speakers
VK3 - Front License plate bracket
VP6 - Noise Control
VXS - Vehicle Complete
V22 - Chrome Grill
V54 - Roof luggage rack
V73 - USA Vehicle
XHH - LT245/75/16. Front
X88 - Chevrolet name plate
YD3 - Standard Front Axle
YD6 - Standard rear spring
YE9 - Comfort package
YHH - LT245/75/16, Rear
ZHH - LT245/75/16, Spare
ZQ2 - Power windows and locks
ZQ3 - Tilt Wheel and cruise control
ZW9 - Base body and chassis
ZY4 - Deluxe 2 tone paint (bunch a BS there)
1SB - Option Package #2
1SZ - Discount Package
26D - Navy Cloth Interior
26I - Navy Trim Interior, plastic pieces I assume
27A - 2 Tone Accent Stripe
39U - Exterior Paint - Dark Adriatic Blue, Metal flake
6WX - LH Frt Computer Sel Susp - No clue what this is, as I have standard front suspension
7WX - RH Frt Computer Sel Susp - see above comment
96L - Exterior Paint, Dark Smoke Gray, Metal Flake

Future Plans:

- Full Hooker exhaust
- Paint it black, replace the cracked chrome grill with a factory style black one. Might try to get a Matte black color going.
- Replace steering wheel with a non air bag steering wheel. Remove all air bag components and possible sell them as a complete set.
- Pioneer LCD Headunit, and rear LCD screen

Fixing type stuff next post...

Last edited:

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Pulled the 'original' spark plugs to see the condition of the engine. Here are the results -

#1 - .069 gap, Mighty RF42
#2 - .056 gap, CR43TS, old
#3 - .044 gap, CR43TS, newish
#4 - .056 gap, CR43TS, old
#5 - .057 gap, CR43TS, old
#6 - .056 gap, CR43TS, old
#7 - .058 gap, CR43TS, old
#8 - .056 gap, CR43TS, old

All the plugs were in good shape, as far as carbon, rich/lean, oil goes. I have no idea why 3 sets of plugs were in there, but I can guess why it was misfiring its ass off.

Lots of broken stuff; bulbs, switches, misc parts.

Found about 70 feet of misc wiring that went to nothing. Looks like it may have had an alarm or remote start at some point. The main power supply to the ignition switch has 3 butt connectors within 7 inches. Seems a good amount of wire lead to something in the dash, havent pulled it apart to check if the old alarm box is up there or not.

Had 2 different trailer harnesses wired to it. One was tapped into the tail light harness behind the drivers side light itself. One was tapped into the cross harness that leads to the passenger side light. Keep in mind, the factory installed trailer wiring attached to the frame, inches away from the previous owners harness, was untouched.

2 different sets of fog lights were installed. One wired up, one not. wired up set was hooked up to a non functioning pilot remote turn on box. Removed all that crap.

Cleaned the hell out of the engine compartment. 5 cans of degreaser, 3 cans of brake cleaner, a box of rags. Now I touch it up every time I open the hood.

Changeover Part numbers and Reference for Non Stock parts.

Serpentine Belt - #5060968, 96.8" belt, 97"would be fine
Alternator - from 2004 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L, 140 amp option, AD-244
Alternator Harness - AD-244/CS144D, Round 4 pin
Radiator - #43-1334, 34" x 17" x 2 1/4" core, trans and eng coolers built in
Condenser Fan - 10" Universal fan, Main Power to relay supplied by leftover ABS pump circuit 60amp fuse. Wired to A/C system and switch on dash.
Headlight Bulbs - 9006 6000K HID by DuraTec
PCV Filter - Universal Breather Cap, 3/4" Tube

Fuel mileage

6.91 mpg
9.91 mpg

Last edited:

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Jan 2014 - Purchased The Burb, 205301 Miles

- Complete tune-up. Cap, rotor, wires, plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, oil, PCV and grommet.
- Front barkes. Pads, rotors, bearings, seals, flushed fluid.
- New pitman arm
- Coolant flush and new thermostat. Flushed block, front and rear heater cores, radiator, reservior. Full of muddy coolant and debris. Found possible oil floating in coolant reservoir. Keeping an eye on things for a bit.
- Replaced 02 sensor
- Replaced front shocks. 3 of 4 bottom mount bolts broke. Drilled out all 4 and replaced with nuts and bolts.
- Replaced rear barn door hook straps.
- Replaced rear A/C overhead speed control knob.
- Replaced broken front drivers side interior door handle.
- Lubricated all door hinges, door catches, lock rods I could reach, and drivers side window track.
- Replaced parking brake handle.

Feb 2014 -

- Replaced power mirror switch.
- Replaced power window lockout switch.
- Replaced various interior bulbs.
- Replaced wiper blades.

Feb 15th 2014 - 205458 miles

- 4 tires, alignment. P245/75/16 60,000 mile, BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A's
- Unlimited mileage 5 year alignment package, NTB

Feb 18th 2014 - 205468 miles

- MD State Inspection.

Feb 22nd 2014 - 205490 miles

- New alternator, 140 amp, AD-244
- New serpentine belt, 5060968
- Changed over alternator harness to newer style AD-244 style harness. stock brown wire to new yellow wire. Blue sense wire to alternator output post.
- New 84 month Group 78 battery
- Big 3 Upgrade and more. 2/0 Ground cable from battery to passenger side block. 2/0 Ground cable from driver side block to driver side body baracket. 8g Ground wire from battery to body. 2/0 power cable from battery to alternator. 2/0 power cable from battery to underhood fuse box.
- Replaced radiator cap, 15lb
- Installed dashboard reinforcement clips kit.
- Replaced passenger side front door hinge bushings. 2 promptly broke upon reinstalling door.

Feb 23rd 2014 - 205493 miles

- Replaced driver side front door pin switch, 16mm
- Disabled ABS, unplugged high amp pump cable from ABS unit to use as power source. Cut purple and green wires to completely disable ABS controller and ABS dash light.

March 9th 2014 - 205538 miles

- New A/C system. New compressor, accumulator, cycle switch, high pressure switch, manifold hose, orifice tube, compressor filter screen, new seals all around. Flushed and vacuumed complete system twice. Installed 12 oz PAG 46 oil, and 6 cans of R134a with dye.
- Installed new front heater hose fitting and clip.
- Topped off coolant. Found leak in driver side of radiator core.
- Discovered previous damage to passenger side headlight and marker light assemblies.

March 22nd 2014 - 205605 miles

- Replaced all front end light housings with new clear lenses and bulbs.
- Installed condenser fan, 10 inch. Wired for power, not yet wired to A/C or dash switch.
- Replaced leaking radiator with heavy duty version. Stock 1 1/4" thick core to 2 1/4" core.
- Replaced upper and lower radiator hoses. Upper doesnt really fit correct, need to hit NAPA since they list and longer one that no other auto parts place lists. Dayco 71884 doesnt really fit right.
- Installed cold air intake. Removed stock air filter housing and spacer stack around injectors. Ultimate TBI coming soon.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
April 5th, 2014 - 205689 miles

- Installed 6000KHID Headlight bulbs and ballasts
- Removed Air Bag and ABS dash warning lights

April 13th, 2014 - 205734 miles

- Installed Clifford alarm/remote start. Built relay pack for power locks.
- Wired condenser fan to relay and A/C clutch power. Ran power wire to dash for future fan switch. Isolated clutch power from fan switch power with diode.
- Upgraded Aux A fuse to 60 amp and Aux B to 40 amp. Now powering alarm/remote start.

April 19th, 2014 - 205768 miles

- Replaced transmission mount. 1 bolt broke off in housing. Drilled out and tapped to 7/16-14. May have partially stripped while tightening. Will check occasionally.
- Aux fan switch mounted in dash and wired up.
- Finished Ultimate TBI mods to spare throttle body. Waiting for fuel pressure tap (and spare time) to install.

May 8th, 2014 - 205922 miles

- Replaced PCV breather tube on driver's side with universal 3/4" breather filter.

May 10th, 2014 - 205970 miles

- Replaced Rear A/C Expansion Valve. Vacuumed, recharged Freon.

May 24th, 2014 - 206112 miles

- Installed modded TBI unit and throttle spacer. Removed rear clip for fuel lines to re-position. TBI has fuel pressure port installed, 12.5 PSI (pump maxed out)
- Installed Accel Super coil #140008 on firewall.

May 25th, 2014 - 206113 miles

- Installed 6 inch Alpine 40 watt speakers in rear doors.
- Removed and bypassed factory stereo amp under drivers seat.
- Installed 5 way Blue SMD 194 style LED bulbs in dash. Installed 1 way Blue SMD 74 style LED bulbs in front upper and lower A/C controls.

Last edited:

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Some pictures of the TBI I got from ebay. Keep in mind, it stated this 'came off a running vehicle'... yeah... maybe running a year ago or more...

Cleaned it, ultimate mods, new balanced fuel injectors, 5mm stainless washers on the FPR spring pedestal to bump up pressure

You must be registered for see images attach

Just a pinch of rust in there...

Drilled out idle screw cover for proper adjustment when installing

Attachments

• IMAG1276.jpg
    IMAG1276.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1277.jpg
    IMAG1277.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 7

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
very nice detailed build,,,nice work on the tbi,,im on the fence to do mine,,
if that came from a running car,,,i wonder how it ran???
keep up the great work,,,cheers,,,