Scotty.92 Project freakenstein - 1989 K1500 5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aside from my daily -- > http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?28397-Scotty-92-The-Resurrection-98-Sierra-K1500-Build

I've got a side project to keep me busy, and out of trouble ( Yea right! :driver:) I bought the truck a couple months back and have been tinkering away at it, but now I am going to be going heavy at it. When I got it, I put up an ad looking for an older chevy on the computer and got an email from this guy with the truck. Bought it knowing it needed work and here is where we ended up at.

You must be registered for see images attach

After some tinkering away, this is where we are at with it right now.

I had bought a parts truck before I had even got this one for $400. Used a bunch of stuff off of it so far. Practically rust free but not very straight body. Interior was trash. It was an 88 GMC 1500. Shown was built in 87 so one of the very first of the GMT400 body style. came with V6, 4x4, SM465 4 speed.

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx313/Scotty_92/IMG_12641_zpsjgnlcurm.jpg

Bunch of stuff taken off

Now the whole reason I wanted this truck was to make a "replica" of how I wanted my very first truck to look like, but never completed due to a write off. ( Build thread is here -- > http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...992-RCLB-(Re)-build/page2&highlight=scotty.92 )

It was just 2WD, but was going to start 4x4 frame conversion that spring, and add a 5 speed. Even though the blue truck I have now is " junk" to most, it is going to be sweet after I am finished.

Here was my first truck, then I got my 98 Sierra. This truck was CLEAN. It was really good shape, owned by an older couple as a farm truck. But I would hardly say it had been used for anything except sitting in the yard. Had 206K miles on truck, but looked like it had only 30K.

Then this happened.

My whole plans for the truck;

Using my parts truck ( V6 ) and the blue truck ( 5 speed ) I am going to make one. Use frame, body panels from the V6. and put my 5 speed cab on it. Transfer drivetrain including 14 bolt axles, tranny, and engine. onto the v6 frame. I would have used the v6 cab as it was way better shape but had no title to register that cab ( VIN ) so doing rust repair on the 5 speed cab and change interior over to red. Eventually paint it black, and do the mods I wish to make it the "truck of my dreams"

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have the trucks currently at my dads work place, but might be soon moving them. Sounds like I'm taking them to buddys place 20 minutes east of me. There out on a farm and he got an 88 dodge hes working on similar to mine; manual, blue, rclb, similar conditions, 4x4, both burning oil lol. I'm going to be pulling the junk 305 with tranny and t-case out together. I'm going to find an older 350 W/ an old Q-jet. Clean it, paint it, get new clutch/ throw out bearing and put it back into the truck. Then I'm going to move to getting the truck just to pass a safety and after that. I have plans of getting a new cab on it. and fixing it the right way.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Looks like you got your hands full lol. She's a basket case for sure, but I definitely see potential.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like this sunday its going to my friend Bj's place. Also got hands on an older 350 I'm going to be putting into it. Might get some progress done this weekend maybe.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the frame get bent on the truck in the accident? Body damage doesn't look all that bad

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is long gone. Here in Manitoba anything older than 94 that has a claim on it (like a crash.. Hail damage.. etc.. ) can not be registered again. Used the money from that truck to go into my 98 sierra. I'm not sure whether the cab shifted, or the frame got bent. It was a lot closer on p/s than d/s to the box. Would have brought that truck back if I could have.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rough, im in Alberta and my '94 just got about the exact same amount of damage.