SBC vs LS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi folks I'm new and seeking your wisdom.
I have an 89 C1500 I bought from a guy that was turning it into a bracket racer but couldn't finish it. From what he's told me and some I have verified by investigation is that it's a SBC 350 that's been supposedly bored .60 over and from what I can tell stock heads modified to hyd roller lifters for the comp mothathumpr cam. Edelbrock performer rpm intake ( it says performer on intake but based on the comma/bean shaped intake openings and comparing to the edelbrock site it may be an rpm or hi rise ) pro-comp ignition system w/ MSD dist. TH350 w/ shift kit and 3k stall conv. Detroit locker w/ 3.73's and a B&M shifter. Had a Holley 650 Double Pumper but have swapped it for a Holley Sniper EFI. Anyway I was wondering if I have a microscopic budget should I just build the current power plant further or shoot for a 6.0 LS ? I'm very new to the performance game but I did attend Wyotech and took their chassis fab and hi-perf engines course so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to engines. I would like your thoughts and opinions. It will be 99% on the street due to distance to nearest track. The EFI supposedly will support 600 HP so I would like to get close to that eventually. Thanks in advance.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would probably run what you've got, I've got over $3k in my 6.0 ls right now with just a mild over stock rebuild. And I got the motor for free.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you decide to keep the sbc, find an idiot to sell that cam to. The thumper series of cam is designed for sound, not performance. Also, stock tbi heads suck for top end power because of the "ramp" built into them to produce a swirl. Vortec heads are a better choice but not as good as a quality aftermarket head.

Reaction score
If you decide to keep the sbc, find an idiot to sell that cam to. The thumper series of cam is designed for sound, not performance. Also, stock tbi heads suck for top end power because of the "ramp" built into them to produce a swirl. Vortec heads are a better choice but not as good as a quality aftermarket head.

I don't believe it was a TBI motor. I think it's an 883 block or something like that. Yeah I was afraid the thumper cam was more of a sound rather than perf cam.

Reaction score
The direction I was thinking I suppose ( and feel free to tell of it's not obtainable ) was to build something around 500 horse and use nitrous to get the last little bit. The EFI kit I have can control the nitro for me which I would like to do. Plus a 100-150 shot kit is relatively inexpensive. I just want to build something that I can get a lot of age out of but still be able to beat the ever loving hell out of. I guess make 500 but make sure the internals can handle 800 or something along those lines. ARP fasteners and high quality bearings, stuff like that but at the same time keep it realistically inexpensive by doing everything myself minus the machine work. I was thinking make it a 383 since it's halfway there if it is indeed bored .60 as claimed.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
10.1:1 383 with an agressive cam and good heads would probably put you a little above 400hp. Add 100-150 shot and your golden. But i belive it would tecnically be a 385? since your .060 over.

Although if you ls swap, you can always add a turbo when money allows. Itd take probably $5-6k to do it but you could potentially make upwards of 700hp with a turbo ls on E85 reliably.