?'s about bagging an OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I have a 95 SCLB and i want to lay frame on stock rims and tires. I have been sourcing parts and inf for a 5/7 and have been having the itch to pull the trigger and just bag it. I did some digging and found some stuff but nothing very descriptive so here are my questions.

1. What will i need to modify to make this happen and how should i do it?

2. What are all the components i need for the suspension and how do they work together and whatnot? Even down to the controls and every tiny bit that plays a part

3. What are the best places to order parts from? i what to try and keep cost down but i understand this is a huge thing so i know money will be spent, But if i can get bags from a yard that will work and be safe then i will go that route. I don't want to sacrifice too much quality though

4. To help keep costs down i want to do alot of the work myself and avoid buying kits. So what things can i make or do myself to keep money in my pocket? And if there are alternatives to parts that will work, please add that info too

5. What are some issues that may pop up and how can i head them off?

Please be as detailed as possible because i know nothing about this and any pics or links to other info threads will be greatly appreciated. I want to get soo much info that anyone can open this thread and then go bag theirs with no prior knowledge. Thanks to any and all that reply with any info and please teach me everything.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I suggest first that you read the build thread's that are right here in this same section and kind of figure out which method you want to do as far as buying premade parts or building you own and also you need to decide what OD diameter tires you want to be able to lay on, and plan ahead don't do all the work to lay it out with a small tire go ahead and do what's needed to lay on at least the stock size tires.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I do dig around but some stuff is hit or miss, also with the wife needing the computer for school my research time is limited. I have seen some on modifying spring perches, notches for drive shaft and tie rods and some other stuff. I just figure to try and get it all in one place.

Also i want to run stock tires P235/75/15

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
Anyone else got some info for me, I have dug through almost all the build threads and found some good info but more questions came up. I found airridetalk.com which was helpful but there is still more about the system i don't know

1. What is a good place to order parts?

2. Will i need trailer fenders for a stock tire?

3. Can i use my stock control arms?

4. If i get an air manifold, will that give me all the valves i need or is that just a way to get more ports for the setup i want?

I will keep digging and if anyone can answer these that would be great

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone else got some info for me, I have dug through almost all the build threads and found some good info but more questions came up. I found airridetalk.com which was helpful but there is still more about the system i don't know

1. What is a good place to order parts?

2. Will i need trailer fenders for a stock tire?

3. Can i use my stock control arms?

4. If i get an air manifold, will that give me all the valves i need or is that just a way to get more ports for the setup i want?

I will keep digging and if anyone can answer these that would be great
I like to buy air ride part's from AVS, Ridetech, Streetbeat Custom's, etc. Yes you will need to remove your stock inner fender's to lay frame on a stock size tire. You can lay frame with stock control arm's, the lower's need dehumped, and the upper's need modified so the balljoint's don't max out. Also yes you can use a valve manifold, most manifold's use 4 3 position valves, which are 1 air in, 2 closed, 3 air out, that gives you the same thing as having 8 2 position valves which are 1 open, 2 closed, also by using manifold type valves you don't need check valves on each wheel's air inlet valve.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
OK, so far i found that i have to do these things to lay frame
Raise gas tank
Notch tank X-member and cab for drive shaft
De-hump lower control arms and trim frame for more movement
Modify upper arms (although i have not yet found what needs to be done to them, i know something needs to be done)
Trim inner fender/trailer fenders
Notch frame for tie rod
Mod trans X-member so it mounts on the side instead of bottom
Appropriate notch for rear axle, I have an idea that i am kicking around but not sure if it will work. I will keep it a secret for now
Mod bed floor for notch
Change ball joints
Gather parts for the setup i want

From what i have found, that is just about everything. If not please fill in the blanks and i will keep researching as well. As always, thanks to any who reply. It is highly appreciated.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would go ahead and tub your firewall, and take a look at page 68 of 98Nightmare's build thread on what he did to his upper BJ's, and on small tires you might get away with nothing, but with stock size tires you will have to basically cut and reangle the upper ball joint so it doesn't max out on travel, because if it does it won't lay frame.

Reaction score
I would strongly just recommend usen MOOG ball joints.. they are notched to swing in and out allot more than OEM style balls. I wouldn't have altered my UCAs if i had MOOGs.. But like Draggin95 said, ya gotta do something or it'll lock..

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I planned on going with MOOG, I have seen that name come up several times in the lowered section. Tub the firewall slipped my mind. Thanks guys, Both of you are a big help.