Running different tire brands front/rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Found some. This from a Canadian Co. so those are Canadian $$$ prices.
Rough estimate = -25% for U.S. $$$.
You'd probably get better prices searching the manufacturers through their U.S. distributors.
But at least there actually are Co.'s out there with tires in the sizes you want, that actually match!

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/235-55R17

*edit* Just checked that link. You'll have to add in the other size for the prices. Top left of the page.

LD68

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you so much for checking on that and providing a link. I actually just found a site "Performance plus tire" that allows the user to build a staggered wheel tire package with desired wheel size, offsets and tire sizes. Also changed my desired front tire size to 235/60/17 to avoid adding rake and give a little more height up front....I do not want rake.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I like the features of that 1010tires link. Even if you don't plan on buying from them, you can use it to check any & all dimensions like comparative sidewall sizes & revs per mile.
Here's a list of every available tire in a 17" wheel size. You can use it to find sizes to plug into the 1010tire chart, with the various manufacturers & whether or not they make staggered sizes of the same model.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/sizes/results.jsp?diameter=17

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tire sizes you listed are quite different in size. I had a truck with 275/55a on 9.5 rim, chose that size caust it was close to stock diameter. It was lowered, can't remember how much, but didn't do anything and didn't rub. Asshat who did the exhaust did make them tuck enough so when had a load in the pipes would hit the axle. But the fronts you want to run and like 25" tall, IMO way too short for a truck. I can't remember the size I ran up front, but was on an 8" rim. I wanna say 255/55s, they were shorter than the rears.

LD68

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two front tire sizes I mentioned were 235/55/17 which is a 27.2" tall tire, I felt this was too short and changed to a 235/60/17 which is 28.1" tall. I see people run this height tire in front often, how is this too short?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 60 is fine, but thought you mentioned using the 55, which I think is too short. But I don't do lowered trucks anymore, and guess that is the thing today using a small tire lol...

LD68

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first lowered truck (early 80's)was a 69 GMC stepside. I ran L60s (275) in the back and G60s (225-235?) in the front. If I remember correctly the G60 was around 26" tall.
As for the current project I just found that the Toyo Proxes has both a 275/55/17 and 235/65/17. Same sidewall, same OD. Just ordered the tires.