Right bolt size or right pulley installer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KenMAthisHD

Reaction score
I pulled my PS pump off to replace my leaking lines and can't seem to get the pulley back on. The collared puller/installer tool I rented from AutoZone (I think it's the OEM brand) doesn't have the right bolt type - I'm actually thinking one of the bolts in the kit is the wrong bolt as I seem to have two of the same bolts which seems odd. I thought the right bolt type was a 3/8-24 as the 3/8-16 I had laying around seemed the right size but with too big a thread - now I'm not so sure as the shaft it screws into seems to be pulling the threads right off the end of the grade 8 3/8-24 bolt I got at a hardware store and the bolt doesn't seem to twist in as well as it should - it catches further in than the 3/8-16 did, but it still catches what feels like too early. Does anybody know what the right bolt size is, or what installer should work for putting thing back together? Harbor freight makes a collared puller/installer, but it looks like it's for quads and the 3.1L GM V6. Anybody know what ought to work for this? It's a 92 with a 5.7L motor

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled my PS pump off to replace my leaking lines and can't seem to get the pulley back on. The collared puller/installer tool I rented from AutoZone (I think it's the OEM brand) doesn't have the right bolt type - I'm actually thinking one of the bolts in the kit is the wrong bolt as I seem to have two of the same bolts which seems odd. I thought the right bolt type was a 3/8-24 as the 3/8-16 I had laying around seemed the right size but with too big a thread - now I'm not so sure as the shaft it screws into seems to be pulling the threads right off the end of the grade 8 3/8-24 bolt I got at a hardware store and the bolt doesn't seem to twist in as well as it should - it catches further in than the 3/8-16 did, but it still catches what feels like too early. Does anybody know what the right bolt size is, or what installer should work for putting thing back together? Harbor freight makes a collared puller/installer, but it looks like it's for quads and the 3.1L GM V6. Anybody know what ought to work for this? It's a 92 with a 5.7L motor
The kit I used for my 97 had 3/8 - 16

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nyceguy01

Reaction score
For sure it’s 3/8x16.
Sometimes the puller closes up the end of the shaft a little so it makes getting a bolt started back in.
In the past I’ve used a 1/2” drill bit on the end of the shaft to clean it up and removed th deformed metal on the very end of the shaft.

KenMAthisHD

Reaction score
You're right, the 3/8-16 worked, just dirty threads in the shaft I guess. Snapped a couple of bolts getting it on, though it sits pretty flush now. Thanks y'all!

KenMAthisHD

Reaction score
Sometimes the puller closes up the end of the shaft a little so it makes getting a bolt started back in.
In the past I’ve used a 1/2” drill bit on the end of the shaft to clean it up and removed the deformed metal on the very end of the shaft.

Thankfully didn't have it close up the shaft end, the bolt slid in pretty well, just had problems when it got to the threaded portion down in there. I blasted the shaft out with compressed air and sprayed it with penetrating oil, let it sit, and threaded in there. It still started a bit rough, but I could get it in far enough to install the pulley. I'll keep this in mind though, didn't even think about the puller closing up the shaft opening. Thanks!