Resuscitating the 1992 K2500 Restore and Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremiah6.5

Reaction score
Well figured I'd go ahead and get my build thread up on here and started. I put in the Members Trucks area so that I could get feed back and advice considering I'm new to diesel trucks:uhoh2: For those that don't know, I just picked me up a 1992 K2500 6.5L Turbo Diesel Single Cab 4x4 recently with 201,*** miles for $1000. It needs alot of TLC on the inside and out but mechanical it seems pretty decent. I've just started Motorcyle Mechanics courses, which means I had to quit my "decent job" to go back to school and get me a crumby job that'll work with my schedule which pays like crap...:nono: So that being said for at least a year the build is going to move slow in the "financing" area. But I plenty of other things I can do to it for cheap or free. In the end I'd like to have a good DD/Off-Road/Occasional Mud Pit Toy:evillol:....

So far I've changed out the ignition switch, and put in a refurbished alternator....This weekend I'm going to try and clean the engine bay up really good and take a good look at things. Check fluids and go through everything. I know it needs batteries right now because its not holding a charge and one battery was totally dry.

Also I noticed when shifting gears theres a big "clank" noise when I get back on the acclerator almost like the tranny isnt bolted in on one side or something like it twists left when I lift off the pedal and push in the clutch to shift gears, then when I hit the gas again it twists back right and hits where its supposed to be...idk..<<<<<best description I could give...so gotta check that out also this weekend also....Soooo anybody know the best way to clean a diesel engine bay without messing anything up??:hmm:

You must be registered for see images attach

Dirty Dirty Dirty!!!

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Degreaser and a whole bunch of rags, and a free afternoon...

That's what I do every couple years to my Mustang

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
What Merrick said, a whoooole lot of degreaser and rags.

My thoughts on the "clunk", check out your engine mounts if you feel like its pulling/twisting one way or the other. I believe a shot mount could cause that kind of play.
Hopefully she treats ya well!

Jeremiah6.5

Reaction score
What Merrick said, a whoooole lot of degreaser and rags.

My thoughts on the "clunk", check out your engine mounts if you feel like its pulling/twisting one way or the other. I believe a shot mount could cause that kind of play.
Hopefully she treats ya well!

Thats what I was thinking also....

I'm thinking over the fall get the motor mount fixed (if thats whats going on), fluids flushed and changed, new batteries, h.i.d. halo headlights, l.e.d. tail lights, l.e.d. third brake light, 3 Inch body lift, s&b intake, and w.e. size/condition/type of tires I can afford..I'd like to get a single stack kit but I dont think funds will stretch that far....<<<<that's my by December goal at least....Oh and repaint smaller pcs and parts here and there, just stuff that can be rattle canned without looking bad...

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Well this should be a good build. But i have some good news and bad news...Good news since its a '92 and has the mechanical Injection pump you will not need to worry about a PMD relocation....Bad news is you cannot body lift a diesel without doing a lot of work. you MUST keep the radiator in the exact spot it is in now. So you have two choices here...hack up your original rad support and lower the rad section the distance that you are lifting the body. that or fabricate offset rad mounts. The Diesel engines do not take kindly to overheating at all!

Ritchison07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like youve got a great platform to start with this project. Super jealous that you got the truck for a grand. I want a manual 6.5 detroit so bad. Sub'd to this build as well. Good luck!

Sent From My Galaxy S3