Replacing rear window after color change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Barrow

Reaction score
not quite that easy, it is not just a blend around the window area.

The factory glass leaves a gap on the edge and there is no standard for aftermarket glass or sliders. You can have one with less gap or possibly even no gap. I don't know how nice your truck is, but you may be able to get by by hardlining around the glass.
Do a nice job taping and paint the black. You might be able to hide the tape line a little down in the gap. If the truck is nice, you are going to have to pull the box, decals, clearance lights, emblem etc. DA to featheredge the paint line, prime, block, seal, blend color, clear entire panels. Depending on the color you could create a mismatch on the cab corners from swimming pool affect by adding the extra clear.

Yeah I guess it’s kind of hit or miss with aftermarket glass. I may try to just tape it up good and try to hide the line in the gap a little bit. The paint job is hardly a year old with very few flaws. I don’t really have the time or experience to do all the blending process.

Ben Barrow

Reaction score
Is the window really bad or just leaky? The body shop just resealed my old window.

The gasket/seal is not really cracked or dry rotted at all. It is a little faded, but the main problem is just the water leak. The glass shop I went to is going to try to reseal it, but they said they can’t guarantee they can remove the glass without messing it up. If it messes up that’s when I’ll have to decide about painting I guess.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I see. I would have liked to replace mine, It looks good but makes noise when driving it. the weatherstrip under the sliders is getting hard or dried out. I`ll look at it closer when it warms up. Good luck with yours!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
not quite that easy, it is not just a blend around the window area.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue he's facing, but I'm not a painter and you are so I'll gladly defer to your experience!

It is a DIY paintjob though; so what do you think of this approach? Break the line at the upper body line and paint the A-pillars, roof, B-pillars, and rear window area. In other words the upper portion of the cab...

Richard

Ben Barrow

Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue he's facing, but I'm not a painter and you are so I'll gladly defer to your experience!

It is a DIY paintjob though; so what do you think of this approach? Break the line at the upper body line and paint the A-pillars, roof, B-pillars, and rear window area. In other words the upper portion of the cab...

Richard
I am not much of a painter myself. My dad does all the spraying, I just help with prep and buffing. I feel like the tape line would be more noticeable at the upper body line than if I just painted the area that the current window covers.

Rick Reid

Reaction score
take the old window out, clean the area real good, then tape off the area of unwanted color and paint the area with a rattle can, install the new window

PANHEAD

Reaction score
maybe try painting a 1 1/2 to 2 inch accent stripe around glass in a satin black ???

Andy1955

Reaction score
I’ve done auto glass for a living for 27 years and unfortunately you’re in a tough spot, what generally happens is that the sealant pulls away from the aftermarket slider frame and creates a leak and then the other spots hold like iron when you’re trying to remove it, more than likely your slider was made by CR Lawrence, The only way that you’re going to come close to the paint line is to try and remove without damaging the one you have and if it does get damaged try a new CR Lawrence backslider and see if they kept their dimensions over the years

Ben Barrow

Reaction score
I’ve done auto glass for a living for 27 years and unfortunately you’re in a tough spot, what generally happens is that the sealant pulls away from the aftermarket slider frame and creates a leak and then the other spots hold like iron when you’re trying to remove it, more than likely your slider was made by CR Lawrence, The only way that you’re going to come close to the paint line is to try and remove without damaging the one you have and if it does get damaged try a new CR Lawrence backslider and see if they kept their dimensions over the years
I am not sure if the slider is original or if it has been replaced. I’ve only had the truck about 2 years. Is there a way to tell what brand it is? The only markings I see are the PPG logos in the corners of the glass. Thanks for the information