Replacing bench seat with buckets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have not yet pulled up the carpeting on my (reg cab) to see if there are "inboard" mounting holes. A friend who is lazy, told me that on the pass side (inboard front) you have to deal with the heat shield and so he ended up not installing his buckets. I am going to be installing buckets out of a '96. TIA!

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you look closely at the heat shield from what I understand there is a knockout that has to be hit with a hammer and perhaps a chisel. I haven't done it yet so this is something I read. I do know that the inboard holes have to be drilled and many have done it. Someone with the experience will likely be able to give you chapter and verse on it. @kennythewelder can likely help out here.

I am pretty sure you mount the seat on the outboard holes and while it is in position you mark where the inboard holes should be. Also be sure and mount the seats with a HUGE washer so that if you are in a crash the seat stays where it belongs.

Also be sure and read the seat thread from end to end. Tons of info there that likely has the answer. This is probably what I am remembering reading.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-bucket-seat-alternatives.796/

Last edited:

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season coming.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man o Man, would trade my first born if I could put buckets seats in my single cab. Well, that ship has sailed, we do not have any kids. But lots of wild turkeys in the back yard today. LOL. Happy Thanksgiving.
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In my 93, WT back when, I bought a set of $1800 custom seats. They were a 40-20-40 seat. I dont remember drilling holes for them, but Im not sure. It was a very long time ago. I ended up swapping them for a set of seats from an extended cab, plus the guy gave me $900 for mine. Those seats fit the floor, but I did have to drill holes in the floor on the trans tunnel side. In my 97 Silverado, I had 60-40 seats. The drivers side seat bottom materal was worn and the foam was falling apart little by little. I found a nice set of Tahoe bucket seats at a swap meet. Same fabric as my OE seats. It was the easiest seat swap I have ever done. When I took out the 60-40 seat, there was a bolt that lined up with the rear hole for the seat bracket next to the trans tunnel, and the other 2 holes in the door side also lined up. The drivers side is power, with power lumbar. My OE seats had power lumbar, but were not power. After unplugging the connectors from the OE seats, and installing the Tahoe buckets, everything worked. The bolt holes lined up, so only the front bolt hole, had no hole in the floor next to the trans tunnel. I never bothered to drill that hole, so I have 3 bolts per seat. Its fine like that. I also recently installed a set of bucket seats out of a Kia REO in my sons 2010 Tacoma. I could only use 1 OE hole per seat. I had to drill the other 3. If you need to drill holes in the floor to mount your seats, keep in mind that the metal is only sheet metal, and you will need to add a very large washer to sure up this sheet metal. I cut out a washer from some 1/8 metal. The washer I cut out was about 2 inches wide, and 3 inches long. I drilled a 1/2 hole in the center of that washer. The holes I drilled in the floor, were through holes. I put the bolt in from the bottom, and the nut in on top of the bracket. I found it was easier this way. As for a heat shield, I dont remember fooling with one, but I may have, IDK.

Last edited:

F4U-1A

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after reading that Kenny, I am happy with my bench seat. LOL. Tacoma's, I heard they are good trucks. If a moose takes out my Chevy next spring, that is what I am going to buy next. I had a Mazda B2200 before my 96 GMT, it was a lot of fun.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well after reading that Kenny, I am happy with my bench seat. LOL. Tacoma's, I heard they are good trucks. If a moose takes out my Chevy next spring, that is what I am going to buy next. I had a Mazda B2200 before my 96 GMT, it was a lot of fun.
If something bad were to happen to my 97 Silverado, I would replace it with a classic like maybe a 1970, 71 or 72 El Camino. Or a 50s 60s or very early 70s GM truck. But my other vehicle ( my wifes ride) is a 2004 4 Runner. Toyotas are very good vehicles. Tacomas are grate little trucks.

F4U-1A

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is, I was checking out new Tacoma's just in case. And I think they are bigger then my Chevy short box. Love those older model 4 Runners (could take the back cap off) some of my Buds from college had them when they worked the mines in Northern Ontario in the late 80s. Great for moose hunting.

Reaction score
I have not yet pulled up the carpeting on my (reg cab) to see if there are "inboard" mounting holes. A friend who is lazy, told me that on the pass side (inboard front) you have to deal with the heat shield and so he ended up not installing his buckets. I am going to be installing buckets out of a '96. TIA!

Thanks for the replies! After "going under" and looking, I am going to wait to install that "last" bolt. It looks like to gain access to that "knock out plug" you have to lower the exhaust system. That will be another day when I can use a friends 4 post lift.