Removing Adhesive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I finally decided to remove the chrome rocker panels and molding off the side of the truck. I tried the fishing line technique on the rocker panels but it was tearing up my hands so I got a little corner up and gripped it with some pliers and pulled it back slowly, took a good while, and no paint came up :) the molding came up easy. I just used my hands. But now I’m stuck with a bunch of glue and adhesive. I did my tailgate emblem a while back and to get the adhesive off, I used WD-40 and an old card to scrape it off. It took about half an hour, wasn’t too bad. Now I have the whole bottom of the truck to do and that would take a lifetime. So what’s the best way to get it all up? I want to try and stay away from those $50 eraser wheels. Would adhesive remover spray work like goof off or goo gone?

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to an automotive paint supply store and bought two eraser wheels for less than $25. There's no way I'd ever go back to any other way.

Got to lookin at em and I’ll just get one that’s not 3M and $50 :shrug: Don’t know why I didn’t think of that before :Insane:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've used a couple different brands and IMO the 3M wheel worked best. All of 'em work...

A hint, at least this is how the 3M behaved: once you've got it nice and warm, take a break. You'll be ready for one anyway, and the wheel works better when it's cooled off.

Richard

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's mine. Work's great but I will say when you get one go ahead and and round the edge off on something sacrificial. And go slow I use my cordless drill on the #1 speed and still feather the trigger to keep speed at a minimum.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A wood of caution with eraser wheels, They are great on metal painted surfaces bur I tried them on and outboard motor fiberglass cover and they will peel the paint off for some reason. I tried something else that was composite and had bad results too but can't remember what it was. Maybe a bumper cover.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After getting a white Silverado, I found tar and alien road goo on the lower panels. I was prepared to go to war and came out with a bucket of everything. Much to my surprise, I found ACDelco X66P, designed for fuel injection cleaning (GM Upper Engine Lube) worked great. A little soaking, then wiped off. Using the eraser colored 3M wheel works grate as you probably have lines in a row of adhesive to remove, but the ACDelco X66P has been around since Nixon was in office, did not harm paint or effect the clear coat or shine. Like any thing, try in a an area that is not that noticeable to start (Lawyer Disclaimer Thingy)

Also, to Bob L, I was service manager at a very large boat dealer for a couple of years. Gel coat is like thin body filler, that is sprayed into a mold first, then once cured, fiber glass is shot in, roller out and mat or other cloth is add for strength....But the gel-coat is not the same a paint and it is used for fiber glass because cured fiber glass shrinks as time passes. Polyester resins (Yellowish) has been replaced by vinyl ester resins (Pinkish/More Expensive) because it shrinks 90% less, absorbs 95% less water and does not show impacts as easy. If you buy a boat, look for it, if it is large and stays in a dock / slip in the water for most of the year. If you trailer, no big deal.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My boat is 17' and lives on a mooring in the water 4 months a year so I put a coat of epoxy primer then bottom paint. It was built by vacumm bagging in 03 so assuming it is the newer resin. Actually this is my wife's boat mine is wood.