Refrigerant blowing out of AC compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericinga

Reaction score
This is my week of weird stuff happening on the truck (88 C1500 5.7L).

Saturday, the truck was idling in the driveway to test the new cooling fans and out of nowhere the compressor blew refrigerant out of the back. The entire AC system was replaced in May 2018. The pressures were set correctly (approx 40 / 235) and the system worked great until Saturday.

So, I checked the high pressure switch and clutch switch. High pressure switch was new with compressor. I decided to replace the clutch switch and recharge the system. On Saturday, @90 degrees, the system was charged to about 45 and 250. While driving the vent temp was 49 degrees. It worked great Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning. Took it out for a 10 minute drive at lunch, no issues. Came out to drive home, started up the truck and it vented R134. started it up this morning and it vented the rest of the R134. now, the compressor is short cycling due to low R134.

I plan to change the pressure relief valve and orifice tube tonight. Have read that relief valve is one time use and must be replaced. Wondering if orifice tube is clogged causing high pressure.

Any other thoughts?

ericinga

Reaction score
Last night, I pulled the system apart and changed the orifice tube, A/C pressure valve and high pressure switch. Pulled a vacuum and recharged it with 40 oz. R134a and 150 PAG oil. Pressures were 40 / 250 @ 70 degrees. Temp at the vent was 40 degrees. It was frosty in the cab this morning.

I'll drive it and see if it pukes again.

Eric

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Isn't that nice? It was so humid on Monday around here that my rear window had dew all over it from the A/C. Ahhhh.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
250 seems a little high on the head for being 70 degrees out. My truck with the mechanical fan runs a 200-215 head pressure when it’s 90 out.

If the orifice is clogged it can cause a high head pressure and a low suction pressure.

I’m sure you already checked it but is the condenser coil clean of all dirt and debris? That can cause a higher that normal head pressure.
But hey if it’s working now leave it be.

Last edited:

ericinga

Reaction score
250 seems a little high on the head for being 70 degrees out. My truck with the mechanical fan runs a 200-215 head pressure when it’s 90 out.

If the orifice is clogged it can cause a high head pressure and a low suction pressure.

I’m sure you already checked it but is the condenser coil clean of all dirt and debris? That can cause a higher that normal head pressure.
But hey if it’s working now leave it be.
Condenser coil is new; only 3 months old. Air flow is better with the electric fans. However, I plan to put a helper fan on the condenser.

I'll check the pressures on Sat in the middle of the day at 90 degrees. If its too high, I'll adjust it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of truck do you have?
My 98 with the 5.7 calls for 38oz of r134a
Depending on your year of truck. You might be overcharged.

This is the chart I use.
You must be registered for see images attach