Electric Cooling Fan Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericinga

Reaction score
I finally got tired of the noise and inefficiency of the mechanical fan on my 88 5.7L. The temp would rise sitting in Atlanta traffic. The clutch likely needed to be replaced but decided to switch to electric fans.

This is my daily driver and it needs to be reliable. There are a number of different ways to do this swap. I followed the method from TBICHIPS.COM.

http://tbichips.com/?page_id=46

Required parts:
- LS1 Fan set (I used a Dorman part) $130
- Temp switch (used a universal switch @ 175-195) $10
- Four blade relays (2) $3 / each
- JB Weld (to support the temp switch in the thermostat housing) $6
- Thermostat Housing $10.

Steps:
- Pulled the mechanical fan and shroud.
- Wired the fans and routed the wires to the firewall.
- Wired the relays and mounted to the firewall.
- Drilled the hole in the t-stat housing, placed a bead of JB Weld inside and outside of the switch.
- Mounted the t-stat housing.
- Let it sit overnight, fired it up the next day. Runs great.

It went pretty well. The fans could use a nicer looking top bracket to replace the tie wraps. I may fab a couple of brackets for the fan and radiator. For now, tie wraps work. Keeping an eye on the current draw. Might eventually need to upgrade to a 140amp alternator.

So far so good.

Eric

You must be registered for see images attach

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Any reason you didn't want to put the temp switch in the head?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Any reason you didn't want to put the temp switch in the head?

I was just thinking the other head port was available. I have never tried to remove one of those plugs... maybe next to impossible after many many years and miles?

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
I was just thinking the other head port was available. I have never tried to remove one of those plugs... maybe next to impossible after many many years and miles?

A lot easier than you would think.

There is also this option if the plug is stuck in the head.

I just would not be able to live with the jb weld on the housing. I would be to concerned about it leaking.

But props the the OP for getting it done.

ericinga

Reaction score
A lot easier than you would think.

There is also this option if the plug is stuck in the head.

I just would not be able to live with the jb weld on the housing. I would be to concerned about it leaking.

But props the the OP for getting it done.
That's an awesome idea. I hadn't thought about using an inline adapter.

What size is the hose at the t-stat? 1.25" or 1.50"?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
If you want to use the head plug and it is stubborn just heat it with a torch for a bit and try again, it should come loose.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally would never have a coolant temperature switch on that side of thermostat. I care more about the engine temperature rather than when the thermostat opens. The only time that sucker is going to get any heat is when the thermostat actually does open. If that thermostat sticks closed you'll never get any cooling to it and you'll bake an engine in a heartbeat.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If a thermostat is stuck closed there's no fan big enough to cool the engine block enough to keep it from overheating, just sayin.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
I personally would never have a coolant temperature switch on that side of thermostat. I care more about the engine temperature rather than when the thermostat opens. The only time that sucker is going to get any heat is when the thermostat actually does open. If that thermostat sticks closed you'll never get any cooling to it and you'll bake an engine in a heartbeat.

If the stat is stuck closed your engine is going to cook regardless. But for the sake of argument this spacer is another option.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If the stat is stuck closed your engine is going to cook regardless. But for the sake of argument this spacer is another option.

I like that except for one thing... it looks like it would need paper gaskets. I love the rubber gasket, as it makes it so much easier to replace a thermostat. There's no trying to scrape off a gasket that has turned to rock, and run the risk of a leak if you don't get it all off. I suppose a relief could be machined, if a spacer designed for the rubber gasket was not available... although, not everyone has a machine shop in their town.