Rebuilt 4L60E HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a 93' K1500 with a rebuilt engine and trans with 31k miles on both the 5.7 SBC TBI and 4L60E

I was wondering the rebuilt condition of my transmission - the only notations i can make of its current performance is the following..

- When shifting into gear from park to D it will usually make a 'clunk' noise which sounds like it's coming somewhere from the drive line(DS) - this also happens when im changing gears at a stop P to D, D to R, R to D, D to P although doesn't clunk.
- When accelerating from 1st gear to 2nd it will feel like the trans is spinning at 2100 before it shifts into 2nd gear.

* I DO HAVE 35" TIRES AND 3.73 stock GEARS AT THE MOMENT, WILL BE CHANGING SOON TO 4.88'S BUT NEED TO ANALYZE TRANS CURRENT CONDITION*

With those being the main noises/potential issues i've experience.. here is what is on my AAMCO receipt which was serviced 11/4/08 almost 5 years ago.. the Grandpa who bought it from factory and lifted it never changed the stock gears and he used it as a barn tow truck - he passed away 2011 so im unsure the use it might of seen with his low-20's year old in the owner ship.

The nephew after inheriting from his grandfather put a amp, drivers racing seat (lol), and an enclosed 10'' jbl sub.. typical in my eyes.
But another typical thing is he might of driven it hard knowing how young folks drive (im only 20, yet i take care of my cars and don't run them hard, let alone do all the work myself including welding)

Im NOT knowledgable with tranmissions as im just moving from power train of the engine and rear end to now trying to learn or even better identify what's what in the transmission.

With those being the main noises/potential issues i've experience.. here is what is on my AAMCO receipt which was serviced 11/4/08 almost 5 years ago.. the Grandpa who bought it from factory and lifted it never changed the stock gears and he used it as a barn tow truck - he passed away 2011 so im unsure the use it might of seen with his low-20's year old in the owner ship.

Here's everything on the list of service from AAMCO

Description of problem - Transmission leaks

The External diagnostic revealed that the transmission fluid level is low and the condition is burnt oder and contaminated A computer scan revealed the following codes: The following service is recommended : internal service

Trans Service
AAMCO reconditioned tranmission with an exchanged rebuilt torque converter with AAMCO 12 month/12,000 mile limited warranty
- New assembly Kit # Kb6100J
- Exchange Rebuilt torque converter
1 used transmission case
1 used pump stator
1 New set of bushings
1 used reaction gear assembly
1 used reverse clutch drum
1 New Reverse band
1 New filter and good used rear diff yoke
1 New 1/2 acc spring
1 New 3/4 acc spring
1 New set acc pistons
1 New 3/2 down shift solenoid
1 New T C C solenoid
New ATF transmission fluid filled to manufacturers specification
1 new engine rear main seal
3 used - 2 shift solenoids and 1 E P C solenoid
total cost of labor $1009.40
Hard parts & other components $2387.55 - Torque Converter $392 - and this service was done by the previous owner 11/4/08

Also if someone can elaborate on the torque converter and its function that would be a good start, ill be doing my research as well so any information/advice or suggestions would be appreciated greatly as im unsure if this tranmission is built for another 100k or if it sounds accident prone - or was rebuilt in an odd way.

any help is still help so all is greatly appreciated :Stupid Me:

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
The clunk is more that likely U-joint, or slack in your rear end. I've had it in almost all my trucks, and they ran fine for years.

The high reving could be due to the over sized tires, and the computer compensating for this.

A torque converter is a viscous(fluid) coupler between engine and trans. Taking the place of a mechanical coupler(clutch) found in manual transmissions. Most(if not all) modern torque converters have an internal lock up clutch for improved highway mileage.

justin93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clunk is more that likely U-joint, or slack in your rear end. I've had it in almost all my trucks, and they ran fine for years.

The high reving could be due to the over sized tires, and the computer compensating for this.

A torque converter is a viscous(fluid) coupler between engine and trans. Taking the place of a mechanical coupler(clutch) found in manual transmissions. Most(if not all) modern torque converters have an internal lock up clutch for improved highway mileage.

Is that bad that the U joint clunks? or not an issue? how can i identify the cause of slack in my rear end?

I could understand that the high revving is from the tires.. just want to make sure it isnt hurting the transmission or anything - also will it damage or decrease longetivity in the transmission if i put in 4.88 gears front+rear ?

So the Torque converter is ran with Viscous fluid that flows between the transmission that pumps all the way back to the torque converter?

Torque converters are used in Automatic transmissions as oppose to manual transmissions using a mechanical coupler also known as a clutch to engage the gears?.. or what is the operation the torque converter does to help the transmission ?

Im sorry if these are basic questions but all these questions i've had the whole 2 years i've been an owner ship and i could tell you now that im having a lot better understanding - just need clarification as i confuse my self easily sometimes :Grenade:

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My first thought, is there is no reverse band in a 4L60E. It is a basic stock rebuild according to that paper, the clunk could be anywhere from a U-joint or most likely if you do not have any vibration taking off it will be the chain in the transfer case. Very common.

justin93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first thought, is there is no reverse band in a 4L60E. It is a basic stock rebuild according to that paper, the clunk could be anywhere from a U-joint or most likely if you do not have any vibration taking off it will be the chain in the transfer case. Very common.

Are you saying there is no reverse band in a 4l60E ?..

And i believe when i saw my vehicle reversing, my buddy went into Drive it made the clunk noise but also it looked like the Rear end lifted very slightly where the driveshaft meets the rear axle.

I have no vibration that is heavy like my fathers 02' Dodge ram hemi 1500 had - everytime he was driving above 20 mph or so his driveshaft would vibrate and sound almost like grinding it sounded AWFUL. We took it out replaced the u joints and its fine now.

How might i be able to pin point if it is the chain in the transfer case or even pin point the issue better yet?

Appreciate the input rhino :cheers:

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, the only band in a 4L60E is the 2/4 band. Reverse works off the reverse input clutches and low reverse clutch. The best way to pinpoint it is to climb under the truck while someone goes from forward to reverse making it clunk. If it is the chain, you will hear it at the transfer case. Good luck!

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
$2400 for a rebuild stock? I am paying $2000 for a full custom level 4 race rebuild on my 4L60E. The place builds Vette 4L60E's all day long, pushing close to 1000 hp. And that was one of the more expensive places I found in the state.

Sounds like they didn't do such a great job either.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$2400.00 is an Aamco price.. That's about in line for what they charge. They have a nationwide warranty and a huge overhead. We do a stock rebuild for around $1200.00 with a year warranty. For a performance 4L60E they are around $1600.00 with all the bells and whistles.

The clunk could be a U-joint. Could be the rear end, or the transfer case. Most of the time if a U-joint is bad enough to clunk, it vibrates between 5mph-25mph.