Rear Mount Turbo Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KenKaniff

Reaction score
Hello All.
I've gone through all the different scenarios with a very capable engine guru friend of mine that has build several high performance engines.
For what I'm after, a mild build netting an add'l 100 HP max, he is strongly suggesting a side mount blower or a rear mount turbo.
I have had several diesels and love the turbo whistle far more than the TRD supercharged 4.0L tacoma I had.
I think a good turbo for my needs is a Holset HX35 or something very similar. They can be found on the cheap from Cummins trucks.
My engine internals are stock with 200k miles. You may think I'm nuts to not build the lowers first, but I'm only wanting to run 5-10 PSI.
The STS kits are ridiculously expensive, so I think our plan is to fab it up ourselves. For the level of boost I'm looking to run, I do not plan to do an intercooler.
The truck sits unless I need it to haul dirt bikes or snowmobiles up the mountain (2500 pounds max.). I want the truck to be fun on the street and have more towing power.
I am planning to use PCM for less to burn me a tune.
I found a cheap set of Thorley long tubes that I'd like to use.
No idea if I will be able to pass emissions with this set up...I've heard it's fairly easy to remove such a system if needed for a trip to the emissions center....true?
I would sure appreciate any suggestions you have for this project scope.
My engine runs fine. The whole idea of not doing a cam is to avoid the very tedious process. My buddy is of the mind that this approach will be far easier. If it blows up then I guess I'll have to open it up and can do a cam, springs and rockers then.
Is that turbo or something similar a good choice?
Would this intake manifold provide the same benefits as the Mercruiser? Would it require a new fuel injection system?
www.cfm-tech.com/Catalog/_400-vm___...rtec_intake_manifold_for_square_fl_963657.htm

Is anyone aware of a good "do it yourself" custom kit resource for the plumbing and such?
As for the NV3500, if I don't quick shift it and beat it do death, will it hold up ok? How much is it to rebuild with stouter internals and better clutch? Would waiting until it fails and going with an NV4500 be a wise option?
Thanks for reading!
Ken

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow. Your tranny is marginal now, you would be better off with a 4500. A proper cam swap can be done in a day easily. I could be wrong but your looking at a lot of fab and custom built parts I don't see this being better, faster, cheaper or easier. A decent cam, tune and headers will be emissions legal if you don't go nuts. Also the turbo system will most likely build power on the top end and not really help you with towing.

KenKaniff

Reaction score
I appreciate your input. I have gotten varying responses from people when I bring up the cam swap. Some guys look at me like I'm nuts and others don't bat an eye. Both types being capable mechanics.
I have not done one myself, so I have no experience to go by.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have never done one. I wouldn't recommend it. It isn't exactly the easiest thing to do especially if it's not on an ls engine. There is a reason people go to the ls engines for turbos. They are build for it. The 454 will make 450hp easily with a cam swap, higher compression, heads, and intake. Like said before you will only increase top end. It is not a Diesel engine. It will not make gobs of torque at low rpms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenKaniff

Reaction score
Can anyone chime in specifically to whether the HE351 would be a good choice for a turbo?

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
The turbo shouldn't effect the actual tailpipe emissions because it probably won't spool up enough during testing. The e-test tech's really don't lean into the throttle all that much.
They may question you about it when they visually check under the truck.
The rest of your wish list will cause your truck to fail Colorado emissions. Your truck will not have an EGR system with the planned exhaust and marine intake. I'm not sure, but a tune may fail it also.
I think it would be a pain to swap it back to stock for testing. I would rather build it to pass.

I agree with the others. I don't think there is a "cheap" way fab a turbo on your truck.
My suggestion is to pull the engine, rebuild it to the HT383E specs (using better parts), use some headers with the EGR tube, and hope the NV3500 lives for a while.
With all emissions equipment in place, it should pass Colorado emissions standards easily, and you'll have your added 100HP (give or take).
Of course, this is coming from an "all motor" type of guy.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
agree with you 100% and I'm saying this from a perspective that my next engine is turbo

KenKaniff

Reaction score
Thanks neighbor. I think there's a fairly good chance they would not check for the EGR but could be wrong. What about the long tubes would make it fail?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My long tubes have an egr port. It does not change the emissions

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
There is a visual inspection also. The EGR system needs to appear to be functional.
The stock passenger side exhaust manifold has a tube attached to it that supplies exhaust gasses for the EGR system.
Your headers will need that connection for the EGR system.
If it's not there, they may miss it, or they may not. But they are suppose to look.

Without a functioning EGR system on your truck, you will run the risk of failing NOx.
This is just an FYI.