Rear leaf springs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z71Tom

Reaction score
I am considering doing something about my rear leafs. They are startingto sag with age. back end almost looks like it has a load some times when empty. I would also like something a little stiffer, as I often tow or have a load. A little rake in the way it sits would be nice.
what would you suggest for the best value?
add a leaf?
hellwig bolt ons?
3/4 leafs?

any suggestions would be appreciated,

thanks
Tom

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Hellwig bolt ins or super springs. They are the same design and function just different names. They will make it look like you have a two inch block in the rear so you might want to crank the bars a little

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id go for 3/4 leafs especially since you mention that your springs are allready sagging. If youre hauling all the time a new set of 1/2 ton springs with airbags will give you the smoothest ride.

z71Tom

Reaction score
With 3/4 springs what do you think the ride height would be like?
I've never done leaf springs before, how are they to install?

Air bags would be great, a little expensive for me though.
The bolt on helper springs seem like and easy solution...

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I drove one 400 that buddy guy put 3/4 ton springs into for hauling a camper, he had the puerto rican slant badly and the truck was painful drive as it just crashed over the slightest bump. Installing leaf spring.....theoretically its a very easy thing to do. Undo your shackles, undo u-bolts and they should pop right off. In actuallity, corrosion on these is horrible, Id start putting liquid wrench or some other penetrant on your bolts like a few weeks before you start.....and Im not even kidding about a few weeks. You will probably need a torch to persuade some bolts and a big ass breaker bar/snipe. Honestly, Id get new hardware and u bolts just so you can cut the old ubolts off and new shackles because getting the bushings out of them is damn near impossible. Having a hoist helps, having a few buddies helps more, having beer helps the most :D

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
My suspension is all stiff 3/4 ton and it's rough that's why I said go with the Hellwig. We have them on my 71 and it's our debris truck for work and with nothing in the bed it drives really smooth. And with construction waste in the bed it rides fine and the springs don't flatten out so much

IRQVET

Reaction score
What about replacing your stock leaf springs and adding air bags? From what I've been reading, Air Bag's have come a long way and ride like a Cadillac.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a body lift. I understand that these bolt up to your existing springs, but do they raise your height at all?