rear end question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
So I'm looking at buying a 14 boltrear end with 6 bolt hubs and the Guy said it has factory clutch type posi. Was this ever an option? Also said the brakes haven't been looked at in a while, can I bolt up my 10 bolt back plates and the rest since they are brand new? Anything else I should loom for,Ian hoping to pick it up tomorrow evening

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Dang, I thought that the may have similar bolt holes. anywhere heres the link for what i'm looking at:
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...n-14-bolt-4x4-posi-rearend-W0QQAdIdZ306376381

I've looked it up and there was no posi units at all in any gmt 400/ 800 units from factory. you either got G80 or open (now i wish i had open)

So whatever this guy has in there (wont send a pic cause he's on dial up) cant be from factory if theres clutch plates and such.

He also said it was off a farm truck that rotted away. so i'm not sure about it. 14 bolt would be nice but not sure if its worth that kinda money since i will almost definately need all new brakes, bearings and seals, and possibly new clutch pack (if this is even what he has)

I have a 10 bolt rearend with brand new brakes (everything but the back plates and ebrake arms). And i have new axle bearings and seals.

But i will need a new differential.

Opinions??? anyone?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Instead of the 14-Bolt why not throw in a true-trac?

Mainly because both my rear ends have G80's which are a closed carrier. True Trac Needs an open carrier (edit: lock right needs the open carrier. true trac is a closed carrier). But I'm thinking along those lines now.

I asked over on fsc and they tell me the G80 Gov lock does have clutch plates in it? I never noticed anything that looked like clutch plates but if this is true the rear end he has is just a wore out G80.

Thanks for the suggestion

I will be reduilding my rear end.

I'm thinking buying an open carrier and throwing in a lock right
Or
Spending the big bucks and getting a Detroit Locker

How is the detroit on the road? I hear they're pretty agressive and i do DD my truck, I can live with agressive as long as there are no side affects (like wearing out) other than ride quality.

Last edited:

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
So i got into my rear end last night and found the problem, My backlash is .030 which is waaay too much. and my pattern is terrible. pics below.
I plan on moving the carrier closer to the pinion, I know i should be moving the pinion but i think that the carrier is easier and cant really hurt anything.
You must be registered for see images

By hezsus at 2011-10-14
You must be registered for see images

By hezsus at 2011-10-14
Its hard to see in the last pic but the pattern is just on the top edge, It has wore away the gear enough and kinda expanded down farther.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
a true trac requires a open differential? Obviously you don't know what your talking about here. a trutrac is a complete differential itself.

and you used antiseize as a paint to check pattern?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
As for the g80 it does have clutch packs that in effect lock the diff once one wheel starts to spin much faster than the other. I have heard that they wear out firly quickly though and some people have experienced catastrophic failure hence the nickname "gov-bomb". If you want to get the 14 bolt I would just add an aftermarket locker or posi unit instead of staying with the g80 and possibly having to rebuild it in the near future

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
a true trac requires a open differential? Obviously you don't know what your talking about here. a trutrac is a complete differential itself.

and you used antiseize as a paint to check pattern?

I meant the lock right.. I know true track is a closed carrier (dont be rude, that **** isnt welcome on this site). and yes I used antiseize, its not the best but it works when you have nothing else.

I plan to keep my current non locking G80 in the truck for now while I rebuild my other rearend. Problably with A detroit locker and I may regear, so I could be driving with my currend rearend for a while till funds are built up.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
the 14bolt G80 is much stronger then the 10 bolts. even though ive never blew up a G80 in my camaros nor trucks so meh. I got a trutrac now in it though and im about to try and sell these rearends.