Rear end options for my 98 gmc c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timb24

Reaction score
Hey all I have a 1998 gmc c1500 with the 350 5.7, I am currently doing an 4-6 belltech lowering kit and down the road im swapping my motor and planning on making around 400-450 hp to the wheels. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on upgrading the rear end I have an gu6 10 bolt at the moment. I wanted to either build mine or do an axel swap so I was going to see if anyone on here built theirs or had experience swapping their rear end. Thank you anyways.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am biased. I admit it.

As far as I'm concerned, the 8.5 ring gear rear axle is TOTALED if it needs to have the grease changed. It's a passenger-car axle with ****** brakes. They had no business putting it under a full-size pickup.

You'd be crazy to invest ten cents into that axle. Find a light-duty C2500 with the proper gear ratio, steal the 9.5 ring gear axle and mounting plates out of it. Not only do you get an axle that's MUCH stronger, you get better brakes, too.

You'll need new U-bolts, and a conversion U-joint for the rear of the driveshaft.

"C" and "K" axles are different widths, get the right one for your truck.

I did this on my K1500. The light-duty K2500 is also a 6-lug axle. I don't know about the C1500/C2500 lugs.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am biased. I admit it.

As far as I'm concerned, the 8.5 ring gear rear axle is TOTALED if it needs to have the grease changed. It's a passenger-car axle with ****** brakes. They had no business putting it under a full-size pickup.

You'd be crazy to invest ten cents into that axle. Find a light-duty C2500 with the proper gear ratio, steal the 9.5 ring gear axle and mounting plates out of it. Not only do you get an axle that's MUCH stronger, you get better brakes, too.

You'll need new U-bolts, and a conversion U-joint for the rear of the driveshaft.

"C" and "K" axles are different widths, get the right one for your truck.

I did this on my K1500. The light-duty K2500 is also a 6-lug axle. I don't know about the C1500/C2500 lugs.

It's the same on the C2500 6 lugs, with the obvious difference being the 5 lug for C1500 vs 6 lug for the C2500 so it's a bit more complicated. But the front knuckles assemblies from the 6 lug will bolt up to the C1500, converting it to an 6 lug for the 4 wheels, if that is desired.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another vote for the 14b SF. I have one in my yard right now waiting to be swapped in.

Find one with a G80. It might not be the "best" posi... but it's free.