Rear end gear ratios

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outlawborn

Reaction score
So I finally ordered my atk 383 stroker performance motor. Im trying to find out the best gearing in the rear end for towing and a lil better performance. I also want to throw in the limited slip positractraction. Anyone have any recommendations?

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to do with it, cruiser, street light warrior, drag strip?

Cruiser-3.42
Street light warrior-3.73
Drag strip-4.11 and higher.

I am going to keep mine 3.08's for the time being. With me switching to 3.42's eventually. But my truck will also have an LS with a TH400.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I finally ordered my atk 383 stroker performance motor. Im trying to find out the best gearing in the rear end for towing and a lil better performance. I also want to throw in the limited slip positractraction. Anyone have any recommendations?
What size tires are you running? I have 275/60/15s on the OE rims, with 373s and an Eaton trutrack. Love it. The bigger the tires, the lower gears you need. Also what trans do you have 373s do good with a 4L60E, it a 700R4. 1st gear, is low in those transmissions.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just installed a Yukon posi and 3.73 gears two days ago. I love them.
I plan on doing this as well. The truck is now a street light warrior with some highway driving. And Texas hill country backroads don’t make the 3.08s too happy lol

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
For mine with keeping 3.08 gears and going to a TH400 trans I will be @ 2700ish RPM @75.