Rear brake conversions to Disc.... Is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By mentioning the rear disc conversion for 400-600 dollars if you're thinking about LSMFG's kit I wouldn't. You could piece together a much better kit for the price, and don't let their words in the description trick you. It isn't the worst thing in the world to install, but it isn't as easy as they made everything look in the instructions (which they later told me is not accurate to the kit I purchased).

I see a bunch of 5-lug guys do the swap no problem, it seems like it's the 6-lug people who have troubles (speaking for myself, of course). Getting the e-brake to work was a hassle, and properly bleeding the calipers was a major PITA. Here's a little thread I wrote up in case you were thinking about doing it: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/so-y...-kit-heres-my-02-tips-and-tricks-guide.49226/ .

Being a 14-bolt rear end I'm not sure what snags you'd run into when installing, but to answer your question, in terms of braking performance (keeping in mind I did not modifying my proportioning valve) I'd say it's meh at best. It looks badass seeing rear disc on my truck, but that's the only badass thing about it.

Thanks for the opinion...
I really do not care for the look, just a decent reliable stop.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i love disc brakes on all 4 corners buy my 96 with a 14 bolt and the monster drums stops way better than my 02 hd truck with big disc brakes

phantom 309

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its no good to put On a master cylinder for for drum brakes to work discs, AND to run discs with a low pressure proportioning valve for drums is really altogether a waste of time,.
To Improve the squishy brakes, the ***** kelsey hayes abs unit needs to be removed, with its ****** internal accumulators, and A better master cylinder installee
You can Also simply swap to 1 ton Dually front calipers and dually rear wheel cylinders for better bite,. They are larger piston sizes,.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 2cents shoes last a long time. Unless your planning on racing I personally dont see the point. Front however sure go to town. Stainless braided hoses, upgrade calipers, slotted or indented rotors, ect. Up to you though. My suburban drums has antilocks, that's modern enough for me :)
Where can you get stainless braided hoses? I hate the rubber ones.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinion...
I really do not care for the look, just a decent reliable stop.
No problem. It's most likely just this kit that has lackluster braking performance. FWIW they use rear calipers off of a 1982 Cadillac Eldorado (for the e-brake calipers) if you do want to piece your own rear disc kit.