Rear brake conversions to Disc.... Is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
C2500 6 Lug Light duty with 14 Bolt Semi Float Rear is being worked on for the drop kit and the bed is off, so it's an appropriate time to get some other work done.
I have been contemplating going to a rear Disc conversion ether by Purchasing a full kit (400 to 600 dollars respectively) or piecing a Junkyard kit together (lower i assume).
My concern is whether the effort is worth it at all.
I would like a little better stopping power than I have now, but honestly don't know if I really need disc brakes versus better quality pads/shoes.
Looking for some opinion form the Street Build Guys on this, the suspension is getting lowered 4/6 with a Belltech Kit, so that addition alone may produce a better stop on its own.

Opinions/experiences on any aftermarket kits are welcomed as well...
Thanks for any help in advance!

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 2cents shoes last a long time. Unless your planning on racing I personally dont see the point. Front however sure go to town. Stainless braided hoses, upgrade calipers, slotted or indented rotors, ect. Up to you though. My suburban drums has antilocks, that's modern enough for me :)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My 2cents shoes last a long time. Unless your planning on racing I personally dont see the point. Front however sure go to town. Stainless braided hoses, upgrade calipers, slotted or indented rotors, ect. Up to you though. My suburban drums has antilocks, that's modern enough for me :)
Yes those big 11 5/32" drums the Burbs get stop pretty well, with the police package front calipers; seems like I've been told that the Burbs got those also. For 6000 pounds of big ass Chevy my Burb stops great. Even loaded, and still good with a loaded trailer.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes those big 11 5/32" drums the Burbs get stop pretty well, with the police package front calipers; seems like I've been told that the Burbs got those also. For 6000 pounds of big ass Chevy my Burb stops great. Even loaded, and still good with a loaded trailer.

Are the front calipers the same as the police package?

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
C2500 6 Lug Light duty with 14 Bolt Semi Float Rear is being worked on for the drop kit and the bed is off, so it's an appropriate time to get some other work done.
I have been contemplating going to a rear Disc conversion ether by Purchasing a full kit (400 to 600 dollars respectively) or piecing a Junkyard kit together (lower i assume).
My concern is whether the effort is worth it at all.
I would like a little better stopping power than I have now, but honestly don't know if I really need disc brakes versus better quality pads/shoes.
Looking for some opinion form the Street Build Guys on this, the suspension is getting lowered 4/6 with a Belltech Kit, so that addition alone may produce a better stop on its own.

Opinions/experiences on any aftermarket kits are welcomed as well...
Thanks for any help in advance!
By mentioning the rear disc conversion for 400-600 dollars if you're thinking about LSMFG's kit I wouldn't. You could piece together a much better kit for the price, and don't let their words in the description trick you. It isn't the worst thing in the world to install, but it isn't as easy as they made everything look in the instructions (which they later told me is not accurate to the kit I purchased).

I see a bunch of 5-lug guys do the swap no problem, it seems like it's the 6-lug people who have troubles (speaking for myself, of course). Getting the e-brake to work was a hassle, and properly bleeding the calipers was a major PITA. Here's a little thread I wrote up in case you were thinking about doing it: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/so-y...-kit-heres-my-02-tips-and-tricks-guide.49226/ .

Being a 14-bolt rear end I'm not sure what snags you'd run into when installing, but to answer your question, in terms of braking performance (keeping in mind I did not modifying my proportioning valve) I'd say it's meh at best. It looks badass seeing rear disc on my truck, but that's the only badass thing about it.

Reaction score
My truck is a 93 K2500 8 lug. I’ve got the front stoppers from an 03HD. Dual pistons calipers, hubs, brackets, shields,... all the stuff. I want to move my factory discs to the rear and install all the new new up front. I know bout the parking brake. I was going to modify a rear caliper bracket to accept 2 calipers. Thus allowing me to have and use a handbrake (Hoonigan). After discovering that I can modify the front spindle holes to accept the oem size ball joints I fired up. I know about the Corvette master cylinder and proportioning valve upgrade. The only things stopping me is the tie rod ends. It seems my best bet is dual Heim joints. But that where I’m stopped. I could use some info.