Really wish ppl would stop bringing me trucks with hydraulic fluid in trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manual tranny's aren't as picky about oil.

I seem to remember a recommendation to use ATF in certain manual transmissions to make (allow?) them to shift easier in cold weather.

I can't remember which friend's vehicle once had this issue, but that was the solution promoted by... the dealer, I would guess. I'm thinking it was a Corvette, maybe a 2002 Z06 a friend had, but I'm probably wrong.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember a recommendation to use ATF in certain manual transmissions to make (allow?) them to shift easier in cold weather.

I can't remember which friend's vehicle once had this issue, but that was the solution promoted by... the dealer, I would guess. I'm thinking it was a Corvette, maybe a 2002 Z06 a friend had, but I'm probably wrong.

Yes, DexIII is the factory fill. (Do not put DexVI in it.)

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, go into the office for a day and I miss all the fun here.

Lol, sounds like me inhaling after grinding dried jalapenos into powder....at least I wasn't driving.
One of my racing teammates prepped jalapenos so we could smoke jalapeno poppers at the track. He sliced and gutted a hundred jalapenos with bare hands. Then went to pee. Don't do that. Wear gloves.

Anyone have first hand experience with powdered wood (saw dust) in a transmission?
I once found a 8" 4x4 in the oil pan of a 6-72 Detroit Diesel. We'd always wondered why that one generator took two quarts less oil. I also once saw a race team make it all the way through a 24 hour race by putting a can of anti-seize compound in their Monza's 10-bolt diff that was absolutely roaring.

Chili no beans
Coffee black
Whiskey neat
Chili with no beans is for kids. Once I grew up I started putting beans in my chili.
Black coffee, absolutely, but on Fridays I brew the gourmet stuff.
I'll take whiskey neat, and I'll also take it mixed. No rye - I like it, but I'm allergic and it gives me a nightmare headache.

Try this one:
"Deckard's Dream"
2 oz bourbon
1 oz black strap rum
1/2 oz maple syrup
shake well
add a splash of absinthe on top
Good stuff!

I'm not a coffee drinker. However, decades ago my first wife introduced me to Arabic coffee (she's from Syria) - super strong, little cups with the grounds in the bottom, straight from being boiled in the copper pot. Maybe a single sugar cube added if you want. Rocket fuel.
I've sipped an Arabic coffee while munching on baklava in a cafe in Doha. That was a nice experience in the middle of a four month $#!++^ experience.

One of my Reserve buddies has a $2000 expresso machine, and he brought it to work one morning. He made me what he calls "crackaccino". It starts with a triple shot of expresso and has tons of sugar in it. It was utterly fantastic for flavor, but ten minutes later I was vibrating. Never again.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, go into the office for a day and I miss all the fun here.

One of my racing teammates prepped jalapenos so we could smoke jalapeno poppers at the track. He sliced and gutted a hundred jalapenos with bare hands. Then went to pee. Don't do that. Wear gloves.

I once found a 8" 4x4 in the oil pan of a 6-72 Detroit Diesel. We'd always wondered why that one generator took two quarts less oil. I also once saw a race team make it all the way through a 24 hour race by putting a can of anti-seize compound in their Monza's 10-bolt diff that was absolutely roaring.

Chili with no beans is for kids. Once I grew up I started putting beans in my chili.
Black coffee, absolutely, but on Fridays I brew the gourmet stuff.
I'll take whiskey neat, and I'll also take it mixed. No rye - I like it, but I'm allergic and it gives me a nightmare headache.

Try this one:
"Deckard's Dream"
2 oz bourbon
1 oz black strap rum
1/2 oz maple syrup
shake well
add a splash of absinthe on top
Good stuff!

I've sipped an Arabic coffee while munching on baklava in a cafe in Doha. That was a nice experience in the middle of a four month $#!++^ experience.

One of my Reserve buddies has a $2000 expresso machine, and he brought it to work one morning. He made me what he calls "crackaccino". It starts with a triple shot of expresso and has tons of sugar in it. It was utterly fantastic for flavor, but ten minutes later I was vibrating. Never again.

Did you take a whiz in basic training right after the gas chamber? My teeth were floating and I took the chance. It wasn't pleasant but it was that or piss my pants.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you take a whiz in basic training right after the gas chamber? My teeth were floating and I took the chance. It wasn't pleasant but it was that or piss my pants.
I went to basic in that window of time in the mid-'90s where they shortened basic training to six weeks. We didn't do the gas chamber. They had just re-instated the confidence course. We were pissed that we only got to do it once.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe you a 100 % I really do but you cannot make me recommend anything other than oem specs all insurance coverages agree and would not take the chance of going against the good book GM and the word it has
have to agree, last 20 years doing collision work fluids, antifreeze, atf, oil, etc comes from the dealer. No worries about wrong or incompatable products, and don't understand how someone can make an argument comparing to purpose race clearanced engines or diesel with large clearances. apples and oranges. At one point Rotella contained more zzdp for flat tappet use. Not sure that's still the case.

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was young,dumb and running from the law I wound up in Tampa and hit up one of the daily work-daily pay joints. Right across the street was a little store where we all cashed our checks in the evening and hung out in the morning. There was one of those expresso machines on the porch and usually a crowd around it feeding it quarters. Second day there one of the guys waved me over and turned me on to a cup of that high octane coffee. Yeah,my hair was standing on end. Back then I was a speed freak and that $hit was better than Peruvian flake.