Random Miss Fire only above 2500rpm!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97__Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok today while cruising down the highway in 3rd gear, my truck started surging at about 2500rpms if i would floor it it would go away. So I put it back in D and the TC would never lock. I had a CEL for random missfire the reason why my TC wont lock. The truck has new plugs and wires. I will be putting a new cap ad rotor on it this weekend. I've also read around that my problem could be a bad intake gasket which is what i believe it is. I've always kept a close eye on my coolant level in the reservoir and I believe it may have dropped some. What do yall think. TIA

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Try cap and rotor, if it does not work look at MAF and TPS sensor. Sounds like a MAF To be honest.

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had kind of the same deal recently, at first I thought it was torque converter slipping while in lock up. Turned out to be maf sensor, plus a bad cap and rotor

97__Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I forgot to mention that my windshield wipers turn on by themselves at highway speeds under heavy acceleration. Has anyone ever heard of that?

97__Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. Well I bought a new cap and rotor and I'm about to put those on. I also unplugged the MAF to see if it would make a difference and it seemed to work. As soon as I plugged it back in it did it again.

97__Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put the cap and rotor on and I'm sure its the MAF. The cap and rotor did feel better, but didn't fix it. I just wish it was so damn expensive for one.