Random cylinder msifire!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could the gear on the cam possibly be wore out? its so strange that nothing has fixed it. i know you said your done trying and spending money though so ill be quiet lol
Lol, i put a new distributor in it, i wouldent think the cam gear would wear out in under 500 miles, would it?

other than the missing issues how is it running? Are you using any oil or coolant?

It has always ran good, never lost any coolant or oil since i've had it. It was almost 70 out today and the exhaust pipe from the driverside is always steaming, never quits. Guess it could be a head gasket.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i wouldnt think a cam gear could wear that fast. but who knows. im sure you did the timing when you put in the dist, so i dont think the timing chain has anything to do with it.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
Lol, i put a new distributor in it, i wouldent think the cam gear would wear out in under 500 miles, would it?

It has always ran good, never lost any coolant or oil since i've had it. It was almost 70 out today and the exhaust pipe from the driverside is always steaming, never quits. Guess it could be a head gasket.

did you write down teh compression ammounts you took?? was they consistently low on one side?

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how about and exhaust leak? maybe around the manifold/header? i know it affected my buddies truck when that happened. power loss and sounded like a miss. depending on the weather and engine temp it would come and go, they were crappy header flanges.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did you write down teh compression ammounts you took?? was they consistently low on one side?
All were between 120-140. Number 1 was the lowest at 120, its the one that keeps fouling plugs. Something must be leaking into the cylinder. I will pull the plug tomorow and post a pic.

how about and exhaust leak? maybe around the manifold/header? i know it affected my buddies truck when that happened. power loss and sounded like a miss. depending on the weather and engine temp it would come and go, they were crappy header flanges.
Dosent sound like a gasket leak, exhaust is quiet. It acts like i have $hitty gas, i ran it all out and filled it back up at a different station with premium and still runs like it has bad gas in it.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
All were between 120-140. Number 1 was the lowest at 120, its the one that keeps fouling plugs. Something must be leaking into the cylinder. I will pull the plug tomorow and post a pic.

sounds like it may have a leaky valve, or the headgasket is slowly deteriorating right there on that cylinder to me...

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah sounds like a vale to me also. but if those were just redone too then id go for the gasket

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The lower intake gasket is notorious for going out around 100K miles or so, that could be your problem. That is why I was asking how it ran other than missing and if it uses any oil or coolant. The lower intake gasket usually goes bad and the signs are random misfires from the coolant leaking into the cylinder.

It starts to look like this:51591[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Use Felpro to replace, I havn't heard anything going wrong with the newest Felpro replacements, Good Luck

Attachments

• intakegasketleaking.jpg
    intakegasketleaking.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New one will look similar to this:
You must be registered for see images attach

Both images were captured off of another site for reference only.

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright. I'm having a HUGE problem with a misfire. I know what is causing it, but I donlt know why the plug is fouling out like it is.
On my #3 cylinder, after about 2K miles the whole plug is covered in burnt oil and ashy substance. The gap is usually almost completely closed up and this is causing my truck to misfire like a demon. It even caused the tranny to start messing up b/c of the misfire. Tc would stay unlocked, etc

What in the would would cause the plug to be covered in oil? I've done a compression check and all cylinders are fine