Radio Up-grade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
I agree that the Retrosound units are actually very nice. I've installed them in a few other vehicles with great results. Not sure why they get a bad rep from so many people on here...

.....because of the price....

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the life of me I cant understand why anyone has any love for the stock stereo in our trucks. It isnt good looking, has no capabilities and the sound is nothing to write home about. Not to mention it was contracted to the lowest bidder to supply them to GM. They dont enhance the value of our trucks if we sell them-I just dont get it. Its like keeping the 19" black and white TV in your house because thats what came with it. Especially when just about every decent stereo out there is plug and play.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
For the life of me I cant understand why anyone has any love for the stock stereo in our trucks. It isnt good looking, has no capabilities and the sound is nothing to write home about. Not to mention it was contracted to the lowest bidder to supply them to GM. They dont enhance the value of our trucks if we sell them-I just dont get it. Its like keeping the 19" black and white TV in your house because thats what came with it. Especially when just about every decent stereo out there is plug and play.

I like the analogy, never thought of it that way

wimmerk

Reaction score
I like the stock radio because my entire truck is stock. It is in excellent ORIGINAL condition, original paint, is always garaged, waxed and kept looking perfect. I plan to keep it that way especially since the truck has been in my family since it was brand new and passed from my grandpa to my dad to me. That's why I don't want to put a modern looking radio in it.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I can get it somewhat. Some new stereos don't really blend in with a totally stock truck. I sort of dread when I get a new stereo because of how goofy some of the new stereos look. I'm putting off the stereo upgrade until I get some other upgrades done. Stock doesn't sound terrible. It's pretty bad though. Makes me glad the noise floor is so high in a vehicle. Upgrading speakers(fronts are now infinity) helped un-mud the sound.

That retrosound thing looks like crap though. It looks worse than stock. I'd rather mod a stock radio for inputs. You can buy them on ebay if you're not into doing it yourself. I added an input to mine and I could actually add bluetooth in without spending very much. But for not much more than that I plan on getting something modern with bluetooth built in and much better quality sound.

Of course at that point I'll want new speaker wire, amps, subs etc.