Radio question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdslay12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an aftermarket JVC stereo. Not very old but it was $110 so not best quaility. I thought i had stock speakers but when i replaced my door handle i discovered the owner before me installed Pioneer speakers. Im not sure if the rear speakers are pioneer or not. It doesn't matter if its my Ipod CD or radio if i get the volume up to 35-40 it will just go silent for a second and come back and so on until I turn it back down to a lower volume. Should i replace my cheap stereo or try goin for nicer newer speakers?

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
It sounds like the previous owner installed "Bass Blockers" just before the speakers.
It'll be round and be inline just before the speaker. Just remove it.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
It sounds a little like it runs out of power. Even without in-line filters, it will still play. Just distort them.

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
double check the wiring to the headunit and make sure its not grounding out. Otherwise it could even be a speaker connection is grounding out as well or not enough power going to the headunit.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
double check the wiring to the headunit and make sure its not grounding out. Otherwise it could even be a speaker connection is grounding out as well or not enough power going to the headunit.

A ground would throw the dock into protect. Not turn the volume down. And even with "bass blockers" the tweeters will still play sound.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's from lack of power...

I agree 100% it will do that. I have a Alpine to where it has a connection in the back of it for my I-Pod well I ran the wire to my glove box and placed my I-Pod in there it also has a I-Pod connection it the front to where I can connect another I-Pod I have if I want to listen to it.

I suggest you but a stereo that has these options I also like that it has three sets of rca jacks so I have my amps connected to them she sounds super also look on ebay you might find a good used one cheap mine I bought it from some member that went with another type of stereo.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would start by seeing if its starving for power when it cuts out, take a multimeter and measure the draw and see if it is dropping (more then a .5 - .75 amp fluctuation) when the radio is cutting out. It sounds like it is either starving for power at higher volume, or the amp stage inside the radio is going out (most unlikely of the two). Also check your connections, make sure it has a GOOD BARE metal ground, and a good connection to both constant (yellow wire) and switched (red wire) 12V+ power.