radio quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an aftermarket radio in my 92, have had for a while. Still running the oem antenna tho. Radio quality has never been all that much to brag about, however the truck has always been in areas with decent station reception. Now that im in the middle of BFE in the new mexico desert. The lack of quality REALLY shows. There is a station (92.7) 20 miles away in tucumcari. Its pretty much the only thing out here. Unless ur blessed with a good antenna and can pick up stations from outlying areas like amarillo. Any other radio picks up 92.7 clear as a bell. The radio in my truck... Barely... And the radio station is 20 freaking miles away. Whats sad is my service truck is a 94 c2500 and still has a stock radio and an atanna i swapped from an 90's chrysler van. Itll pick up a country station in amarillo(110 miles), if u catch it right in the morning u can pick up a rock station all the way from lubbock(184miles). How is it mine cant pick up something 20 miles away? Theres even AM 1400 that plays country out of tucumcari and it wont oick it up at all... What would fix this? Ive looked at aftermRket antennas at napa but cant bring myself to buy it

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
What brand aftermarket headunit do you have?

Sounds like you have no connection with the antenna. You're going to have to check everything from the antenna to the headunit. Check the antenna adapter too, I've seen a couple were the coax wire wasn't stripped before they crimped on the connector.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also worth noting that the tuner itself inside the radio might be weak or going bad. It's not very common but I've seen AM/FM tuners die from time to time. My money is also on a connection somewhere between radio and antenna, though.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Not aware of being able to just buy the cable. Either the connector at the radio end is bad or you will have to replace the entire antenna.

Also make sure the antenna has a good ground to the body and back to the battery. The body works as a ground plane for the antenna.

All three of the aftermarkets I have ran do a great job of bringing in stations from 50-70 miles away. I am north of Dallas TX by the Red River and can get most of Dallas area just fine.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
There is a connection in the OE cable under the hood on the passenger fender too. Make sure it's still connected and isn't corroded, rusted, etc.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Btw i forgot to add, its a sony xplod (i forget what model)... the ground makes a little sence, the small ground wire from the battery terminal to the fender broke at the eyelit sometime last yr.