Radiator upgrade,replacement!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
I'm using the factory style 28" rad that came with my 350TBI for my 6.0/4L65E. Everything fits perfectly, including the 1990 fan shroud with the 6.0 clutch fan installed. So far, it's done really well. Granted, it hasn't reached triple digits outside yet, but it's gotten to the low 90's and I've been maintaining around 198 degrees with A/C and an external trans cooler. I do have an auxiliary pusher fan, though, for the A/C. If it starts lagging in the summer, I'll probably swing for the fences and go with the 34" core and e-fans. But for now, I love my setup. it looks like it belongs there.

stratton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
good to know Jglew82 . I am having my swap done now. 5.3 L59 and have been planning on using my 28" factory rad . But with C5 Elec. fans

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm using the factory style 28" rad that came with my 350TBI for my 6.0/4L65E. Everything fits perfectly, including the 1990 fan shroud with the 6.0 clutch fan installed. So far, it's done really well. Granted, it hasn't reached triple digits outside yet, but it's gotten to the low 90's and I've been maintaining around 198 degrees with A/C and an external trans cooler. I do have an auxiliary pusher fan, though, for the A/C. If it starts lagging in the summer, I'll probably swing for the fences and go with the 34" core and e-fans. But for now, I love my setup. it looks like it belongs there.
My 28" 350 radiator runs me around 210 ish pulling any size trailer on a 90° day. Hotter pulling 5-6k lb car trailer. I keep it and the condenser clean. Have had several different thermostats over the years. Good clutch fan. Clean coolant. Couple years ago I tossed the 5 blade fan and put in an 11 or 12 blade plastic fan from a 6.0l Escalade I got from a scrap yard. That kept it from running warm with no load at all, and is quieter. I'll ditch the single core 28"er for a 34 this summer.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
My 28" 350 radiator runs me around 210 ish pulling any size trailer on a 90° day. Hotter pulling 5-6k lb car trailer. I keep it and the condenser clean. Have had several different thermostats over the years. Good clutch fan. Clean coolant. Couple years ago I tossed the 5 blade fan and put in an 11 or 12 blade plastic fan from a 6.0l Escalade I got from a scrap yard. That kept it from running warm with no load at all, and is quieter. I'll ditch the single core 28"er for a 34 this summer.

Right on. I have that same fan, as it came with the pullout from a Denali. We'll see how it works out this summer!

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a word of warning , if your looking at the 34" versions from 94+ the AcDelco/Delphi ones are 1/8 less thick than the original ones, or the same as non ac models.
Luckily when I replaced my 20yr old one last fall I found a nos one on ebay.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a word of warning , if your looking at the 34" versions from 94+ the AcDelco/Delphi ones are 1/8 less thick than the original ones, or the same as non ac models.
Luckily when I replaced my 20yr old one last fall I found a nos one on ebay.
Probably still an inch thicker than the 28" motorcycle radiator lol

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That radiator 431334 that's the one I want but my shroud is for the 28 inch core not the 34 it had a 5.0 in it was swapped to 5.7 but it can't keep engine trans cool under load I bought a fan shroud off a 99 Escalade I think it's for the 34 inch anybody have a part number or any ideas? Thanks

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Radiator and fan from the Escalade were already gone? It probably would have the factory auxiliary trans cooler too.