New guy from California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer X

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

New to the forum and new to Chevy trucks. That's on account of blue ovals and we weren't allowed to swear in the house or in front of the women. (secretly I always liked the 1990 454SS) However due to a seriously good deal I got a 2000 C3500 5.7 single cab, single rears with a Royal Utility bed for work. I'm sure you all know it's a OBS crossover truck so last of the good ones. I've been reading up on it.
A little about me, I'm in my 50s and worked on my own rigs all my life. Long before life's responsibilities took me to concentrate on work. I used to be a hot rod guy and built 30s Fords and all manner of Ford vehicles with my dad. I did my first engine swap when I was 12 289 in a pinto. And did quite few more after that all in various vehicles. I'm now an historic preservationist and life has settled down. Maby I can have a little fun with this truck.
The truck was damaged when I got it but it was such a screaming deal I couldn't pass it up.
By damaged I mean it had been hit or run into something pretty solid and smashed the passenger door and bottom cab corner. Like a short ballard post or something. The front bumper is pushed up as well. During the headlight replacement I found a smashed core support and a thick pile of bondo on the fender so it needs a little love. It's a nice truck that fits the needs for my work and it just needs to be cared for. I'm reading up on it as fast as I can, any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Done so far:
New passenger door,
Turn signal sw,
new headlights and led upgrades.
2003 stock wheels with some chunky noisy tires on them (gotta go).
Fluids and filters changed.
Bluetooth head unit.
Heater hose connector at intake manifold.
New Parts sitting in my livingroom:
New grill, diamond mesh.
smooth bumper
bumper brackets,
filler,
454SS valance,
Stock fog lights,
right fender,
core support,
intake gasket set,
water pump,
left exhaust manifold,
various tune up goodies plugs, wires etc.,
Overhead console from a Tahoe,
and a really bitchen black and red bowtie emblem that I'm going to illuminate.
Stuff to do:
Fix intake leak
Make sure it doesn't have a cracked head or intake.
Get engine mechanically sound,
Install sheetmetal,
Front suspension,
Tires that don't make it sound like a duce and a half,
LS Swap a 6.0 Corvette engine into it.
Or any 6.0 that is built for torque. I drive on hills
Find some Tahoe seats and a Escalade center console.
Update instrument panel,
Powder coat the racks white,
Maintain it and drive the ever lovin out of it.
VIN 1GBGC34R8YR223091
280,000 mi.
I'll figure out how to post some photo's
Old truck
73 F250 390 W/ utility bed.

Racer X

Reaction score
Hey guys I wasn't planning on doing this for a while but this seems like it might be a really good engine for a swap in my truck. A little spendy but it's got everything with it and only 8000 miles yes that's 3 zeros. Is this engine https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-0-LITER-...026379?hash=item23e04d6ecb:g:yOYAAOSwt4xfX1-E a plausible prospect for a swap? My big hurdle is I live in the City and it has to smog and be totally legal because i'm always on federal property with it.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a solid truck. California I hear is very picky when you start touching the stock system. Also I like your user name lol. I used to watch speed racer with my dad

Racer X

Reaction score
Looks like a solid truck. California I hear is very picky when you start touching the stock system. Also I like your user name lol. I used to watch speed racer with my dad
Thanks, I got lucky on this one and got a solid drivetrain. and a decent enough body with a great bed and racks. Yeah smog is a serious problem for any mods, especially engine swaps. However rebuilds are spendy too so it works out to almost the same price about 5 to 6k when it's all said and done.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The motor came out of a chevy express van so no you can't use it. As far as I've read you can only swap from another truck and it has to be the same model as in u have a 3500 so it would have to come from a newer 3500. Thats how I interpret the laws here. I'd recommend calling a referre and asking them.
Welcome from NorCal