Quick-Connect Filter Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you live in the rust belt like I do, you may have found the threaded fuel filter to be a real PITA to change. Fortunately, there's a quick-connect filter with the same diameter so it fits perfectly in the stock filter bracket. All you have to do is modify the fuel line to accept it.

After removing the old filter, you will need to replace the threaded fittings with some fuel line quick connects. My fuel lines have all been changed to nylon tubing, so I used S.U.R.&R. brand KP020 fittings, fastened to the tubing via ear clamps.

As for the filter, it's the same as my old '92 LeSabre used to have. The same one was used on a LOT of GM vehicles produced 1990-2005. I picked mine up at a local Carquest, part number 86484. Other brands that this filter cross-references with are ACDelco GF580, Wix 33484, and Fram G7333.

Happy wrenching!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My pleasure!

It's worth mentioning though, that this mod does interfere with your ability to attach a pressure gauge at the filter for checking fuel pressure on TBI trucks. So keep that in mind. You will need some different adapters in order to hook it up there, or you can tap in at the TBI instead.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My pleasure!

It's worth mentioning though, that this mod does interfere with your ability to attach a pressure gauge at the filter for checking fuel pressure on TBI trucks. So keep that in mind. You will need some different adapters in order to hook it up there, or you can tap in at the TBI instead.

I was looking at SUR&R's website and they have a schrader valve that can be plumbed in.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeh, I never understood why there is not schrader valve for test on TBI or CSFI or spider as everyone calls them. It is limited room on top, but most fuel line issues are engineers afraid of recalls resulting from crash test.

I can't tell you how many protective brackets and crap I had to install to keep the fuel line from hitting the firewall when hit on front. Seat belt brackets are a close second.
Cool write up & info!