Question on 88-94 factory stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
That's one thing I didn't like about the 88-93 dashes is that, if I wanted to put an aftermarket stereo in it, it would have to go in the center, which is kinda dumb.

Stock speakers are ok, but aftermarket speakers are better. I did notice a little more clarity with my Kenwood concert series 6x5" speakers than the stock 6x5" speakers. Well worth the upgrade (though, these speakers don't have much bass), especially when paired with a sub. :waytogo:

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh gawd, the original speakers are F'in terrible.. Hurt my ears at just about any volume over 1/4. Replace with the 4x6 Infinity Kappa plates and your ears will thank you for it. My stock stereo sounds purty good with them in there and I did the auxiliary input mod too. Well worth the effort IMO as aftermarket stuff just looks like garbage these days, not to mention always having to reach to the center of the dash is a pain.

I'm putting in refreshed B pillar trim and may as well do this. Assuming I can run these Infinity Kappa's with the stock electronics (Delco AM/FM and tape w/equalizer?) I have no desire to wire an amp in or anything.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's one thing I didn't like about the 88-93 dashes is that, if I wanted to put an aftermarket stereo in it, it would have to go in the center, which is kinda dumb.

I sure enjoy my dumb center Kenwood with phone, bluetooth, USB input and CD player. I agree that it would be nicer to have it in the original spot but that location is pretty good for a GPS or backup camera screen too. Someone also makes a very expensive knockoff of the original radio with modern conveniences, but from what I hear they are very expensive.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I'm putting in refreshed B pillar trim and may as well do this. Assuming I can run these Infinity Kappa's with the stock electronics (Delco AM/FM and tape w/equalizer?) I have no desire to wire an amp in or anything.

Yeah, they work just fine with my '89 stuff. But I've heard you want the amp brain box from a '92 or up truck as they can better handle 2 ohm speakers. I have to reduce 60hz frequency response using the equalizer when listening to my iPod. I can turn up said response when listening to the radio as FM signal quality is anything but audiophile grade. What I've noticed is that the stereo sometimes tries to play loud but can't, so it self attenuates after trying (and failing) to reproduce a 60hz signal to the speakers. The factory trash couldn't respond that low so it was never an issue for them. But surprisingly, the factory stereo's sound quality is pretty damn decent. I hooked up those Infinities and initially left the Alpine in to see if there was any difference. Stock sounded better, especially since I had an equalizer I could work with.

I sure enjoy my dumb center Kenwood with phone, bluetooth, USB input and CD player. I agree that it would be nicer to have it in the original spot but that location is pretty good for a GPS or backup camera screen too. Someone also makes a very expensive knockoff of the original radio with modern conveniences, but from what I hear they are very expensive.

Whatever floats your boat. People went decades without that stuff and so I figure I can too. If I'm road tripping I'll throw my GPS thing in the glovebox but I like the minimalist approach.

Yeah, Retrosound I think is the company. That radio is ***** in my opinion, especially considering the price. Looks like the base AM radio that maybe 1-3% of the trucks actually got so unless your truck has manual heat and such it'll look out of place.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, they work just fine with my '89 stuff. But I've heard you want the amp brain box from a '92 or up truck as they can better handle 2 ohm speakers. I have to reduce 60hz frequency response using the equalizer when listening to my iPod. I can turn up said response when listening to the radio as FM signal quality is anything but audiophile grade. What I've noticed is that the stereo sometimes tries to play loud but can't, so it self attenuates after trying (and failing) to reproduce a 60hz signal to the speakers. The factory trash couldn't respond that low so it was never an issue for them. But surprisingly, the factory stereo's sound quality is pretty damn decent. I hooked up those Infinities and initially left the Alpine in to see if there was any difference. Stock sounded better, especially since I had an equalizer I could work with.

Whatever floats your boat. People went decades without that stuff and so I figure I can too. If I'm road tripping I'll throw my GPS thing in the glovebox but I like the minimalist approach.

Yeah, Retrosound I think is the company. That radio is ***** in my opinion, especially considering the price. Looks like the base AM radio that maybe 1-3% of the trucks actually got so unless your truck has manual heat and such it'll look out of place.

What I like about the Kenwood is the hands free phone. Like everyone else of this era I use the phone a lot and having it hands free is a real safety thing. All the rest I can take or leave. I am not too concerned with "authentic" down to the last detail, I just want an old truck with all the comforts associated with much more modern trucks. After all my RCLB will haul anything a new one of the same configuration will and I didn't have to mortgage the house to own it. I am not looking for a rolling parlor house, I want a truck I can use for truck stuff.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
That factory radio location is a great spot to put a GPS/backup camera in for sure, I've also seen people put gauges in there as well.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The amp modules are not the same .. But they will work interchangeably for the most part, and since you have the "simple" radio, it'd be fine. However, if you had a radio with the electronically controlled tape deck with the 5-band EQ on it, and replaced the amp with one from a "simple" radio truck, the 5-band EQ would not work properly; you'd only be able to control 2 of the 5 bands and the output will be a lot louder compared to the radios with a working 5-band, but generally speaking it would work. I have about three of each system and I think I have four different part numbers on the different amps lol.

Also you can swap between manual-tape and electronic-tape, but obviously if you replace an electronic deck with the manual one, you'll lose the 5-band EQ and you'll have no EQ control at all. Inversely, replacing the manual deck with an electronic one will work, but the manual-tape radio display modules lack the additional 2-wire harness that plugs into the EQ so the EQ display will just be nonfunctional (but the bass/treb buttons will still work at least)

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What I like about the Kenwood is the hands free phone. Like everyone else of this era I use the phone a lot and having it hands free is a real safety thing. All the rest I can take or leave. I am not too concerned with "authentic" down to the last detail, I just want an old truck with all the comforts associated with much more modern trucks. After all my RCLB will haul anything a new one of the same configuration will and I didn't have to mortgage the house to own it. I am not looking for a rolling parlor house, I want a truck I can use for truck stuff.

I'm of this era, but not like everyone else. I generally do not take calls on the road and I certainly do not respond to texts. That's the beauty of call logging and texts in general; I can see who tried to contact me and I'll get back in touch with them when it's convenient for me to do so. Seems others have forgotten that concept though, it's "now now now"- instant gratification. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should or have to. Slow your roll. My truck already has all the modern I need: EFI, cruise control, tilt steering, interval wipers, OD and A/C.

The amp modules are not the same .. But they will work interchangeably for the most part, and since you have the "simple" radio, it'd be fine. However, if you had a radio with the electronically controlled tape deck with the 5-band EQ on it, and replaced the amp with one from a "simple" radio truck, the 5-band EQ would not work properly; you'd only be able to control 2 of the 5 bands and the output will be a lot louder compared to the radios with a working 5-band, but generally speaking it would work. I have about three of each system and I think I have four different part numbers on the different amps lol.

Also you can swap between manual-tape and electronic-tape, but obviously if you replace an electronic deck with the manual one, you'll lose the 5-band EQ and you'll have no EQ control at all. Inversely, replacing the manual deck with an electronic one will work, but the manual-tape radio display modules lack the additional 2-wire harness that plugs into the EQ so the EQ display will just be nonfunctional (but the bass/treb buttons will still work at least)

Thank you, that is great information! I did some digging around and the other threads from this and other forums reported that the amp modules are the same. I'm glad to know they're not because of the radios I pulled from junk yards, I took the amps too because I had a hunch that there were some differences.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of course you might be installing another non working tape deck. That part is a crap shoot . Another thing to remember is that the GM speakers of that era tend to crap out.

Went to pull a part yesterday, had to settle for an EQ deck, as the only standard tape deck rattled when I pulled it from the dash. Installed the new EQ deck today and was met with a clicking sound. I did pay an extra $3 for the 30 day warranty. So I guess Friday I will try a different yard in their chain and see if I can get a working tape deck.